Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S Video to Coaxial AV??

• 06-08-2002 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I seen these on a US website turns a S Video out to a Coaxial cable.
    it was $30 for 2 of em anyone ever seen em on a Uk/Ireland website shop???

The website i seen them on was supplier so no public sales.

its for my PC to link with tv whichs is about 35 ft away and i have a coaxial under the floor years and using thta is a better idea than laying down 2 s video with conecctors .

kdja

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When you say Coax do you mean as in a normal tv cable? What you would connect up with cable tv?? Or is it Composite video you mean? If its the latter then £30 is way too expensive for a dongle.. Never seen the former!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Basic coaxial tv/video cable
    they are 30$ on a US supplier website ,they look custom made

i never seen em b4 either
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.svideo.com/svideocoax.html

personally i'd buy a new tv that takes an s-video signal in through the scart plug and run a length of svideo cable up to the tv (i'll presume your playing dvds with this.. in which case an rf coaxial cable is a sin.. you'd be better off watching them on your monitor from 35ft away imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, I want to know are you talking about S-video to RCA, or are you talking about S-video to RF? its all co-ax cable, it matters what connection is at the end of the cable.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Oh....... if its going to an RF connection, it'll be crappy like kali says. But if its going to RCA, http://www.svideo.com/svideorca.html should offer fairly good quality over a short distance.... 12 feet.

TBH, your dvd card should have an RCA out put on the back.... and then if you use heavy duty, co-ax cable it'll last over a longer distance with increased quality. I connected my DVD hardware card through an RCA to Scart connector over a distance or about 15 metres........ I couldn't notice any quality loss.

john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I don't know if this is any help, but a few days ago I bought a S-Video to SCART cable for my GeForce DDR, it works fine, and cost €15. It was only 1.5 metres though...

Actually, Mordeth bought it for me... not sure if he went to Pete's or Maplin... Anyway, if you buy one, ask for a S-Video (or S-VHS) to Composite-SCART cable, or else you'll get a black and white picture.
    One annoying thing though, was that the S-Video socket is pretty crap, and the cable would only hang in there loosely, so it would slide out if you touched anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

The cable also had 2 audio cables attached to it, I didnt really know what to do with them, but we used my PC's speakers anyway, so it wasnt a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hmm i have a 32" WS with 5.1 amp and dvd player.
    I want to watch my downloaded movies on TV
    I have G3 ti 500 .
    my PC is in the kitchen where i used to have a TV running form my Digibox ,i used a big assed RF cable for the cable is still under the floor.
    What i seen was a Svideo to RF/Coaxial then Rf/coaxial to Svides it lengtened the svideo cable .
    the quality would be a drop but from 85hz to 50hz there would be quality drop anyway.
    And the movies will actually lok better on the TV than the monitro as the monitor shows up the crappy ness

other than 2 svideos together ,this thing was the only option.

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

I know this may seem simple but how 'bout a video sender ?
    Just get the appropriate connections/adapters to the sender .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just something to keep in mind, SVHS-Composite-RF are more than just the cable/connector types, the signals are different too. The cable you buy has to have a signal converter of some kind in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    Actually, Mordeth bought it for me... not sure if he went to Pete's or Maplin... Anyway, if you buy one, ask for a S-Video (or S-VHS) to Composite-SCART cable, or else you'll get a black and white picture.

that's because your tv doesn't take an s-video connection... therefore a convertor (as creed mentioned) is somewhere on that cable.

an s-video cable itself contains seperate brightness and colour information.. therefore plugging that into a scart that only accepts a composite (as the name suggest its basically all information on one wire) will usually result in either a lack of colour (or a black screen if wired incorrectly).
    What i seen was a Svideo to RF/Coaxial then Rf/coaxial to Svides it lengtened the svideo cable .
    the quality would be a drop but from 85hz to 50hz there would be quality drop anyway.
    And the movies will actually lok better on the TV than the monitro as the monitor shows up the crappy ness

the conversion from svideo to rf and back again will result in a horrible mess... and also what about audio? or do you have a cable from your pc to your hifi/amp?

Advertisement