Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mp3's and backing up

• 06-08-2002 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Currently my mp3 collection is backed up onto 35CDr's. I got extremely pissed off having to search through all my cd's to find a song/album so I decided to buy a Matrox 80GB HD. My plan is to then move all my MP3's onto my new HD. Problem is I'm worried that if my HD crashes/virus ect ect I will then lose all my Mp3's. Would anyone have any suggestions... perhaps backup the HD monthly onto a bunch of CDRW's using ghost ? Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Are you mad?

Ghosting a HDD of mp3's would take ages even on 12x High-Speed CDRW's not to mention the Cost of the fecking media.

A second HDD mirroring all the data would:

1 - Be Cheaper
    2 - Be a hell of a lot less hassle.

The only other way I can think of that a normal user might use is a DVD Burner. (The HDD would be cheaper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hiya Dave,

I just bought a new harddrive especially for MP3s. Its an 80gb drive, and I have about 30gb free on it, so it should last me another few months :)

I take my MP3 collection very seriously and have it backed up on CDR too. The collection itself is indexed in an excel spreadsheet, so I know exactly where to find an album within seconds.

If I ever change PC, I can whip out the 80gb and my collection is intact.

Hard disk crashes, theft, fire etc. do worry me, so I keep my CDRs in work (just in case). A bit OTT maybe, but fcukit, I love my collection, and I'd HATE to have to re-rip everything again! :)

Just as an aside, I'm not too impressed with DVD-Rs at the moment. Most are only 1x speed, so to backup a full DVD worth of MPs would literally take all night. To backup a 50gb collection would take weeks..... When they get up to at least 8 speed, I'll consider grabbing one.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Now now Leeroy,
    the cost of dvd-r drivers are going down in price, i myself have one and i think its class, 4.7GB's on one DVD-r disc single sided.

However, media for them in Ireland is a **** so i wouldnt reccommend getting one unless u can import the media,

Get a 120GB HD for komplett.ie, they are currently on special for about €150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Currently my mp3 collection is backed up onto 35CDr's.
    Problem is I'm worried that if my HD crashes/virus ect ect I will then lose all my Mp3's.
    errrrr, what excactly is the problem then???
    if the hd crashes you'll still have the cdr's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

errrrr, what excactly is the problem then???
    if the hd crashes you'll still have the cdr's

exactly. or even *shock horror* the original albums.

bye bye "ive a load of music i never listen to but mines bigger than yours" thread...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement