Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy Price Increases

• 06-08-2002 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I might be jumping the gun here but the letter I got last week told me that the price for my subscription to Sky World (family pack) was increasing to €60, because of the addition of such great programming as RTE 1, Network 2, TV3 and TG4 . As it happens I was going to cancel sports and movies anyway so on the phone I got. After canceling I was told my subscription was now €27. Then I asked if that included the price increase, and was told definitely that there was no increase on the basic package ( I still have those great channels by the way) . Does that not sound fishy to everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe a little yes... but they probably want the basic channels to be a low price as they can advertise then of their low starting point.. the biggest increase is probably due to the sky-fai deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am not sure of the number of Sky Sports subscribers but I would imaging that it is probably around half of all those who subscribe, i.e. 125,000. If you multiply that be €7 you get €875,000 per month, i.e. €10,500,000 for one year. Now the deal with the FAI was for €7,500,000. €3,000,000 profit nice and easy, eh? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    €10,500,000 for one year. Now the deal with the FAI was for €7,500,000. €3,000,000 profit nice and easy, eh? :(

The FAI deal is for four years. So ... thats €42,000,000 over four years - a €34,500,000 Profit. Not including future price increases. Not including future subscribers (growing at 1,000 a week at the moment, and likely to continue over the next 4 years).

Sky are obviously moving along a product life cycle. Stage 1 is clearly to rope in a minimum level of subscribers with attractive deals, channel choice, etc and to grow revenues through new users. Stage 2 is to add valuable content (i.e. Irish channels, and Irish sports), and thus raise revenue by raising average subscriptions.

Advertisement