Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking using NiCs

Options
  • 06-08-2002 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

How do you get two computers to talk to each other using nics and cat5 cable.

One computer has win2000 and the other has win98

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you are not using a hub or switch, make sure you are using a 'crossover' cable. This is a standard cat5 cable with one of the end connectors wired differently. These can be purchased off the shelf in computer supply shops like Maplins in Dublin.

Make sure you have networking (including TCP/IP) installed on both computers

When you have connected up the computers, make sure the green light is on at the back of each NIC.

The next step is to set the net mask and static IPs into both computer. Netmask for both should be 255.255.255.0. For the IP addresses you might try 192.168.100.1 in the first computer and 192.168.100.2 in the second. After rebooting, check that you can ping both computers from eachother:

E.g,: ping 192.168.100.1

That's the basic networking done. You will need to configure more settings for file and printer sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Take a look at www.wown.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would make the one with the Modem or Internet connection the .1 machine and the one without would be the .2

Easier to figure out connection sharing then.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Thanks guys

I didn't have a crossover cable, but a friend of mine told me how he rewired some telephone cables in america and fancied himself to do it.

Basically I just looked up which wires were which on the internet and he cut the insulation off rewired and taped it all back up with some electrical and what do you know it thing actually worked!!! I saw the two computers flash up saying connected at 10mbps whoo hoo!!!

On a different point. Does anyone know how to uninstall a domain controller from Win2000 advanced server once you've installed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Does anyone know how to uninstall a domain controller from Win2000 advanced server once you've installed it?

Uninstalling Active Directory should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by CivilServant
    On a different point. Does anyone know how to uninstall a domain controller from Win2000 advanced server once you've installed it?
    This might seem like gross overkill, but it is fairly easy to configure domain based networking if you have it installed. You might consider this if you plan to get a hub and connect other computers in the future or if you want to learn about networking. DHCP would also be recommended in this situation.

Advertisement