Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which club is the best?

Options
  • 06-08-2002 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Dublin now has several "alternative clubs" but which ones do you reckon are the best?is it "helter shelter"?"phanthasm" "cheesi singles ""supreme" whelans Friday/sat night, "section 8" da2 oor the recently updated "strictly handbag(no longer 80`s only"?maybe its somewhere else?I have my own views but i`ll hold fire for the moment.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lunar superstar

the shelter rocks whelans is too packed these days and sometimes feels like there aint no dj just a cd going over and over with the same tunes da2 is ok ri`ra is class i love the 80's nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

whelans is consistant in that most of the tunes they play ill enjoy, but the helter shelter plays songs that make me want to hug the dj (bren!) screamadelica was excellent the first time i went there, and the second time....i dont know WHAT happened, twas awful. the dj in the bar was great though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Screamadelica is loads of fun. Ollie Cole DJ'd last night and he played a brilliant set. Phantasm is great too and I love the music but the only thing that puts a downer on it is the fact that it gets really packed. Never been to any of the other ones. Might have to do that some time. I'm a bit of an 80s freak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Screamadelica is the best club i've been to I reckon though I've only been once and i here it can be really empty sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Funnily enough i'd have to go with screamadelica, unfortunately it does tend to be empty sometimes during the summer, not really sure why, although during the college year it's pretty consistant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dominion rules. Goth club. If you like that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

have to say helter shelter is by far the best.scramadelica is poor but lately it has been surpassed by the drivel that is now phanhasm!what once was good is now very very bad.where did they get that fool djing?alien ant farm?whelans has recently got better on saturday nights with a different dj whi doesnt play as much of the aul whelans disc that hasd turned into a joke.is it the competition from the shelter.Strictly can be good too,but monday night can be a put off.da 2 is a joke.never been to isaac butt so cant comment on them except to say its on the wrong side of town!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

screamadelica licks balls!
    whelans used to rock pretty hard, especially phantasm's heyday, but has since gone down the toilet- weekends not so bad though
    haven't been to heltershelter yet, but am reliably informed that it is a pretty good night.
    the king of them all has, of course got to be fibbers (except when they go on some lame-ass linkin park buzz- painful!) valhalla night (last friday of the month) is cool, if a little scary! lots of hair and leather is the predominant theme raaaar!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭stigma

AngelWhore : Dominion rules. Goth club. If you like that kinda thing.

if you like your clubs a little harder and faster than the Alternative ! and a bit more on the dark side check out SINDROME OR END OR DOMINION (All can be found at http://gothic.ie info+locations))

each club has something differant to offer, Dominion being a very good allrounder, End is heavy into electro/industrial/ebm and SINDROME plays everything from Metal to classic goth!
    A little something to make your weekends that little bit louder.

Friday August 16th

Another mad nite at SINDROME
    The Temple Dorset Street.
    9pm til late
    admission 6.50/5 euros witha flyer (cheap or what!)
    print one from http://sindrome.gothic.ie

A Rock`n night with the best in Punk,Classic Goth,Cheezy 80`s,rage`n
    Metal,hard Industrial and bleap`n electro.

check out http://sindrome.gothic.ie for map,info,photos and video
    clips

not my cup of cha mate but whatever floats your boat,the more clubs the better.....forgot to mention the thrash that is death disco.Billed as a club where "you`re liable to hear anything,in reality this is a ounk only club with joe skeletor bp manning the decks.if you`re not into punk my advice is to stear well clear.If you are ,it may be worth a visit....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

Tis my birthday on Wed and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere exciting to go to in town (club, pub etc.). Somewhere besides Wheely Bins preferably. And in repayment of your suggestions will be an invite to join me in my celebrations. ;)
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

In defense of Phantasm: Only one of the DJs, Tommy, I think, plays a noticeable amount of Nu Metal. And they are all pretty good with taking requests, which is nice.I can't comment on the other clubs, because I only go to Whelans, which is probably not a good idea, but what can you do? And Phantasm is the best Whelans night, on Saturdays I frequently hear feckin' A-Ha! Oh the pain.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sister_dew

yea i gotta say phantasm, always garaunteed to be loads of ppl u know and the music's great (if a little too familiar!)
    i never enjoy screamadelica altho that may be due to my dislike of the TBMC.
    wot nite is helter shelter on? id like to check it out!

Phanthasm has turned into a nu metal heaven over the summer.I assure you.Helter Shelter is on the last saturday of the month(August 31st).You can e-mail song requests to:heltershelter@eircom.net

i think (i may have to be corrected) but form september onwards its going to be the first saturday of every month. at least thats what i read on the posters. but yeah next one up is august 31st.

think you have to be stand corrected!you`re getting it mixed up with the "mojo club"(sixties,northern soul etc)which is on the first saturday of the month in the shelter.

Helter remains on the last saturday of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Withnail

As one of the people who runs Helter Shelter I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has said such nice things about our club.
    To all those who have not yet come, check it out and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You can email us at heltershelter@eircom.net to let us know what you would like to hear, and we will play it.
    The next one is Saturday 31st of August, and the last Saturday of every month. Yes Drowner, The last Saturday, as is says on the poster. Good to know you enjoy the club so much, hopefully they will give you a night off so that you can do your stuff on the dance floor and Bren can buy you a drink for all the praise you have given him. The first Saturday is indeed Mojo Club (another great club that is well worth checking out if your into the Mod scene).

He he, i doubt i'll be given the night off but u can buy me drinks while im working and we just wont tell my boss ;)
    you guys deserve the praise, and it seems a lot of people are dying to check out the club, so keep it up...and play me a request next time!

Advertisement