Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP problems

• 07-08-2002 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2nd-hand PC a few weeks a go. It has XP installed. I am experiencing the following problems;
    1. After each boot up an error - 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' keeps appearing. Nothing else happens.
    2. After about 10-20 minutes the PC crashes. Whatever application I am running an error appears saying ' Application Name has experienced a serious error and will have to shut down'. The PC then re-boots.

I went on to the Windows Updates website and downloaded a few updates but the problems still exist. Any comments greatly accepted but note that I am not a PC wizard but not a newbie either.

BTW - I tried searching for older threads but XP is less that 4-letters required for a search.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

It being a second hand PC and not having you need on it I'd recommend doing a format and reinstalling XP. Of course, you will need the XP cd to do so. Did you get that with the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by thegills
    I bought a 2nd-hand PC a few weeks a go. It has XP installed. I am experiencing the following problems;
    1. After each boot up an error - 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' keeps appearing. Nothing else happens.
    i had a prob like that
    here is thread
    to be honest i never got around to fixing it. but the prob seems to have just dissapeared lately.
    Application Name has experienced a serious error and will have to shut down'. The PC then re-boots.
    that never happened to me.

but i did get the first error you mentioned. knowing Microsoft that one error message could mean anything. so i dont know if my post is any help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

mbroaders - I have the XP CD. What do you mean by a 'format'.
    I'm thinking of changing to Windows 2000 as well as I bought a webcam and scanner and neither have the XP digital signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

By Format i mean wipe the hard drive and start again by reinstalling XP or putting on 2000 if you want to go that route.
    Make a backup of anything you want from the PC first of course.
    You will also need to reinstall any software that is on it at the moment that you will need (Microsoft Office Etc).

The errors you are getting could mean a number of things. Would be much more efficent in the long run to wipe your hard drive and start over so things are the way you want them to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

thegills dont worry about the XP digital sig... it just means it has not been certified by microsft.. most drivers are like that and 2k will probably have the same problem!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Saruman. I thought that myself but I installed the webcam on my XP desktop and ignored the 'no digital signature' warnings and it wouldn't work at all. I then installed the webcam on my Windows 98 laptop and it worked OK. I bought a scanner of the boards recently and the same warnings appeared, I'll try install it anyway's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickrick

Download all critical XP updates from Microsoft. There is a cure included in these for the "Critical Error" bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Just wipe your drive and put XP on it. If u got a lot of ram i recommend 200 but if not then XP. But at least WIPE IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

As a general rule if I buy a desktop/laptop/palm etc and there is already an OS on it, I will _always_ "format" or whip it clean and install the OS I choose ( mostly a linux ;) ) on it from scratch.

Generally the best way to do this for any windows would be with the assistance of a win98 boot disk - only need one floppy unlike 2k and it works just as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickrick

Also, when installing XP, you are given the option of formatting at the install time if an existing OS is detected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement