Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Boot OS Organisation

Options
  • 07-08-2002 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I want to setup a dual boot system (Win98SE and Win2000) on an 80GB disk. Any recommendations on the best partition sizes for the System partition and FAT32 drives?

I was thinking of going:-

C: FAT32 8GB Win98SE installed here (to allow for 4K clusters and speed up boot up and file access)
    D: FAT32 30GB (to use 8K clusters)
    E: FAT32 30GB (to use 8K clusters)
    F: NTFS 12GB Win2000 installed here (4K clusters), using this mainly for Maya PLE experimentation, and some .Net meddling.

Any opinions?

Also is it possible to have two Win98SE installations (one for experimenting with beta drivers etc)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not totally up on the whole rules of Microsoft OS's, but does the Win2k boot sector not need to be within the first 8gigs of the disk or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Felix Unger

The essential boot files need to be located around the boot area of the disk. The C: drive would have both the Win98 and Win2000 boot files required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

just remember to make the partitions first, install 98, then 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Does Win98 support NTFS? i thought it doesnt... well.

I have win98 and win2k on this pc. Win98 in C: and Win2k on G:.
    Win2k makes itself the boot disc. Id advise putting win2k in its own drive too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Winters
    Does Win98 support NTFS? i thought it doesnt... well.

Not without something like NTFSDOS Pro installed AFAIK

• Advertisement
Advertisement