Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cdr ripper

• 07-08-2002 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

what do you think is the best cd ripper/mp3 encoder?? my personal fav is realjuke box plus,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...this sort of question always tends to provoke some level of evangelism from various parties, as people aren't all agreed on what actually constitutes the "best", if there is such a thing.

Personally, I have a grudge against RealNetworks for knowingly foisting spyware on the public, so I refuse to use their products. However, I have two excellent (not to mention practical) reasons for not using RealJukebox; instead, I use Exact Audio Copy 0.9b4(http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/). Those reasons are:
    1. It's one of amazingly few CD-rippers out there that actually tries to reconstruct the data from scratched/damaged CDs, leading to better audible results.
    2. It's free - RealJukebox appears to be... rented? $9.95 a month? WTF? :eek:
    On top of that, it (EAC) also features:
    1. FreeDB Support
    2. CD Database export to a variety of formats
    3. Hugely configurable file compression options using your choice of compressor (it even knows how to control the basics in a large variety of known encoders) - personally I use LAME (also free).
    4. It can generate/burn CD images for audio CDs
    etc. etc.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I use AudioCatalyst 2.1. Perfectly happy with it, goes off to CDDB, rips and encodes to a format of your choice. You can use it as AudioGrabber, extend it with a codec, or use it as AudioCatalyst to encode to mp3 using their own codec.

Lightning fast, good sound, easy to use... Simply works for me :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Like netman, I also use AudioCatalyst 2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Id be a Cdex man aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yup CDex is some funky sh!t.

COMBATCOW >:^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah I also use exact audio copy, its very easy to use but not at the expense of features. I have configured it to use lame for mp3 encoding, gives excellent results at 192kbit vbr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

CDex all the way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Cdex or Mp3 Pro nice and fast;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'll have to agree with EAC. Top notch ripper. Check out the music board. there's already been a thread with the same topic very recently

• Advertisement
Advertisement