Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip-off cinema prices

Options
  • 07-08-2002 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the cinema the other day(that one in Blanch!), first time in maybe 3 or 4 months, i was shocked at the admission price of €7.75. Last time i went it was the equivalent of less than €6.
    There were less than 20 people inside the cinema, hundreds of seats empty !!
    Have the people who set these prices any cop-on that they will go out of business when the prices are so high ? !
    Anyone agree ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

They are prity high alright, but i think i remember something on the radio recently saying that we had cheaper cinema prices than the majority of Europe. May of been sleepdriving at the time tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Haw! You think that's bad? I was at the cinema in Toronto on sunday, it cost $28 dollars, for two, that's 18 euro.
    Was a damn nice cinema unlike the kips in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i pay only €5.50 for the cinema.
    its nothing like the cinemas in dublin/limerick/cork but for that price i dont care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The Ormonde in Stillorgan is the best man the job.
    Very reasonable whether at student rates or the full whack.
    I think its about euro 4.50 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

I wouldn't go into a cinema in Limerick. They make me feel like having a shower as soon as I get home. Have you seen that filthy savoy in the town centre? And as for the one out at that shopping center you nearly get killed trying to get to it unless you drive there. Thank god I don't have to be around that dump of a town anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    Haw! You think that's bad? I was at the cinema in Toronto on sunday, it cost $28 dollars, for two, that's 18 euro.
    Was a damn nice cinema unlike the kips in Dublin.

Odeon in London (Leicester Square). 11 quid UK each the last time I went there on a Saturday night (I was paying for three). Do the maths to convert to euro (I can't because I laugh and cry at the same time when I do). Last time I went to the flicks over there I went to the ABC off Regent Street - a nicer 5 quid

Limerick prices aren't too bad, though they've increased too. 7 euro or 5 with a student card (only applies Mon-Thurs before 8 though, nasty people). That's for the one out of town - the one on town is indeed a dump (as I've mentioned elsewhere, seat collapsed last time I went there - and I'm not actually that fat).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Prices here are cheap compared to the US... i think it has always been due to the fact the US got all the fims before us!! However recently more and more films get a worldwide release (to cut down on Piracy i would imagine!). So the cost to the cinema may be going up... Of course im sure there is some Euro rip off going on.. personally i dont mind... I only go to Ster Century and have no problem with their charges.

Agree with the points you make there Saruman. That is the worldwide Movie Indus. plan nowadays. Also cuts down on advertising and media hype costs, and also prevents the bad press reviews that might hit a films attendances where its released after the US for example.

--
    As for NYC, the best I've been to is Sony Lincoln Square-
    its on the upper west side between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. An experience in itself but not much change from $30 for 2 peeps :( Depends on the time of day though.

However, having said that there are loads of 2nd run cinemas(usually about 3 months behind the release dates) that will only charge about $3-4 which is good value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Off on a slight tangent here, but it looks like that rathole Savoy in Limerick got a coup on the Omniplex this week. Savoy have got 8 Legged Freaks, Omni doesn't. Grrr....

Omni: Here.

Savoy: Here.

Time to dig out the radiation outfit and breathing aparatus......

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Just in case anyones interested, myself and the wife have passes to the UGC cinema in Parnell Street. The passes allow you unlimited films for a fixed price of €12.68 per month, per person. UGC do this at most of their cinemas throughout the Uk and Europe and as you can see, if you go at least twice per month, you are already making money. Only downside is that you cannot reserve seats by phone - you must turn up in person and queue, but as long as you dont have to see new releases on the very weekend they come out then its pretty cool.

Q

• Advertisement

Agreed.
    That is the best deal in town. My sister actually buys that pass.
    I'd get it myself but I'm not over that part of town enough to fully utilise it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If you have a picture ID and goto the UCI just say it is student ID.

All they do is look at the photo costs me 4.50 or something like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by 80project
    The Ormonde in Stillorgan is the best man the job.
    Very reasonable whether at student rates or the full whack.
    I think its about euro 4.50 :)

Only problem is they have all of a sudden decided not to show any films with an 18's certificate it would seem.
    Monster's Ball being an exception, but they didnt show Blade 2 or Res Evil. I've really gotten annoyed by this, it's kiddies films all the time, they had bloody Shrek showing for around 3 months.

STILLORGAN ORMONDE
    SCOOBY DOO (PG)
    MINORITY REPORT (12PG)
    STUART LITTLE 2 (G)
    GOLDMEMBER (15PG)
    SPIRIT (G)
    SNOW DOGS (G)
    MEN IN BLACK 2 (PG)
    HEAVEN (15/PG)
    SPY KIDS 2 (PG)
    EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS (12/PG)
    CROCODILE HUNTER (GEN)

I'm surprised they even have Eight Legged Freaks showing.

AFAIK, they do shy away from "controversial" 18's releases such as Fight Club and Story Telling for instance, but they also have a different distributor as well. I heard this on Rattlebag. Most of the cinemas distributors are british based whereas the Ormondes is Irish based. (Make of that what you like !?)

Overall, though it is/was my local and they do show 75% of all films released so thats not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Quorthon
    Just in case anyones interested, myself and the wife have passes to the UGC cinema in Parnell Street. The passes allow you unlimited films for a fixed price of €12.68 per month, per person.
    The problem is you have to sign up for a year = €152.16, a friend is still paying for his ex's cinema tickets 6 months later.

And it doesn't quite 'save' you money, it merely encourages you to go to the cinema more often (and buy munchies). As the man says, a man will spend €2 for a €1 items he needs, a woman will spend €1 on a €2 item she doesn't need.
    My New York experience (somewhere in Queens, in Astoria direction) : she paid for the tickets on the net, 2 x $14, I paid for the taxis, $10+$12 plus munchies (?). You have to start asking questions at those prices. But she creid at the end :( (Gladiator)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

The cinemas were sneaky though before the changeover.
    In Ennis, the put the prices up from like £4.80 to around £5.40 around November last year so it would be a smooth changover to €7.00. €7.00 for a student at 8 o'clock at night.

I went to the cinema in London there recently and a student to get in at like 2 'o clock in the day was £4.80. That converts over to around €7.50, then another £2.90 for a small hot dog and £2.00 for a small coke.
    f00kin rip-off for sure. I cant imagine what the prices will be like in England when they eventually convert to €.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

London cinemas are massively expensive. Trip to the cinema there is going to cost you £15 per person no matter which way you look at it. Even a few miles outside the city where I am, it's closer to £6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The IMC in Dun Laoghaire is a rip off too. It's €8 or something and the student time is something stupid like between 5 and 7. And even at student rate it's like 50c or €1 off the normal admission price.

Advertisement