Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Help

Options
  • 07-08-2002 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm moving to Ireland in about 4 weeks. I'll be buying a car when I move and will need to get insurance straight away. I amm looking to buy a Peugeot 206, 1.4.

Unfortunately I am having a huge difficulty finding someone to insure me. I have several things going against me - 1. I'm 22, 2. I'm self employed and 3. I haven't lived in Ireland for the last 3 years (which seems to be a pre-requisite with most companies..).

I was looking at the previous post with the list of insurances.. I tried Quinn and they wouldn't insure me..

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

If I recall correctly they have to quote you by law, but it's probably going to be mental money.

My suggestion is thus; get a motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right first off your age is going to criple you when looking for insurance!!! For a male driver in Ireland you get loaded up to about the age of 30. The second thing on your age is most companies dont want to touch you until your 25.

Next thing I would have to say is do not go higher than a 1.4 car as the insurance company at that stage will want free access to all your money, i.e. you will be paying easily over €3000 per year.

As for not living in Ireland for the past 3 years thats not such a biggie as your from the UK which is not as bad as coming from a country that drives on the right hand side of the road.

As your self employed most insurance companies will think you will use the car for you business which means business use loadings.

My advice would be to check out this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=537231#post537231

as that might say you some money and you could do it while in London as the test should carry over.

Who are you insured with atm?? Axa, Allience and CGNU all operate over here so if your insured with one of those companies already they might do something for you over here.

But at the end of the day welcome to the young drivers hell that is Ireland :mad:

Kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

Thanks Kayos..

Do you know if any of the insurance companies do women only policies?

I work from home and don't do any business mileage, so I'll have to make sure they know that, when I get quotes.

I'm not insured with any of the big companies unfortunately.. though I'll see if the people I'm with have a division over in Ireland. You never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

In theory any EU insurance company can insure you.. so in other words if its their policy your current insurer can insure you over here... i dont know of any that actually do it but as far as i know i could contact someone in France to insure me if its something they do..

For instance i knew a guy who was Irish but had been living in Latvia (not EU but no matter) i think it was for years with his wife.... he moved back here 4 years ago but kept his insurance in Latvia.. they insured him over here!!

Oh really? Well that would be cool.. I'll give them a bell and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd go with kegser - if you won't be needing the car to do business, get a motorcycle.

There's some obscure law that if you receive letters from 5 insurance companies, formally refusing to insure you, then you may go back to the first one and demand they insure you. Of course, they'll charge a ridiculously high premium, but there's not much you can do about it, except pay up and then complain the ombudsman.

Or try go for a smaller car for a couple of years. A punto or summat.

A motorcycle? ahahahaha I can barely ride a push bike mate!

I don't do a business mileage but I do do a hell of a lot of personal mileage a year, I need comfort.. I also need my Peugeot..

I'll just have to cough up, or get my aa pal to insure it and put me down as a name driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Saruman
    In theory any EU insurance company can insure you.. so in other words if its their policy your current insurer can insure you over here... i dont know of any that actually do it but as far as i know i could contact someone in France to insure me if its something they do..

For instance i knew a guy who was Irish but had been living in Latvia (not EU but no matter) i think it was for years with his wife.... he moved back here 4 years ago but kept his insurance in Latvia.. they insured him over here!!

I think that was probably illegal. To offer nsurance to an Irish resident, the insurance company must have an office here.

If your friend was trying to claim he was still resident in Latvia, well that's another 9very dodgy) story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I remember reading about that before.... I believe there's a certain number of days that you can be covered in a foreign country under your Insurance.

This allows people to take their motors on holiday but prevents insurance companies registered in say the U.K. insuring vehicles in Ireland.

... I think that was it anyway, don't quote me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by edove
    I'll just have to cough up, or get my aa pal to insure it and put me down as a name driver..

thats illegal unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

under EU law, if a company has a licence to provide motor insurance in any EU country, it can provide insurance in all EU countries. ****ed if I know if Latvia is EU or not, but while it would be legal for your current English insurer to provide you with insurance here, most won't. Most companies don't have a policy (no pun intended) on providing insurance in foreign countries, so most of the low-level office workers you tend to deal with just won't know, and won't want to know.

I'm guessing your a woman and Eagle Star do a women only deal called Lady Star (****ing discrimination - if it was men only, women would be up in arms......don't get me started ;) ) but it tends to be quite expensive. My mother and two sisters got cheaper quotes elsewhere.

Why do women like the 206 so much? It's a fine car but there's better out there for the money......

Cheers for that Blitzkrieger.. yeah I am a woman and no, I think it would be great if they did more men only insurance policies (:p ).

I've no idea why we like them so much.. cos they curve in the right places, they feel good to drive and the go fast! I had a Quicksilver, which is a Limited Edition in the UK and I adored it. It's the only decent car I know (previously owned old mini, metro s), so if you'd like to suggest "better for the money" feel free..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm replacing my car soon myself and am planning on getting the typical boy racer's car : a Honda Civic. Yes, everybody hates it cos whenever you see one, it's being driven by a twat, but there's a reason all the twats like it. Mainly sweet engines in a cheap car.

I doubt if I'll find one that hasn't been thrashed though, so I'm also going to be checking out Mazda 323s. Everybody hates Mazdas too cos they're cheap and plastic, but my friend has a 1.4L 323 saloon with a comfort pack, and while not awe inspiring in the charisma department, it's a hell of a lot of car for the money.

I'm even thinking about a Corolla. There's a ton of different types out there so there's one for everybody, but since you want a 206 it's probably not stylish enough for you.

Style wise a new 306 might be better if you could stretch that far. I'd also go for a Seat Leon if I could afford it. The Focus is a very nice car to drive, but it's popularity keeps the prices high. I'd also go for a Fiesta before a 206. It's not as stylish but it's usually higher spec'ed and more practical. If you want fast and fun to drive, try a Punto Sporting - my sister loves hers.

Advertisement