Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerry to hit the Big and Small Screens in September

• 07-08-2002 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Jerry will be hitting the big screen with the new "Comedian" documentary in September. Hopefully I'll catch it in the States but it does say selected theatres so I hope for the Irish fans it will at least show somewhere on our fair isle :)

[Taken from this article]
    Jerry: Master of the Big Screen?

August 07, 2002
    He was master of his domain, but then he closed the curtain while at the top of his game. Now JERRY SEINFELD is back, and this time he's on the big screen! A new documentary called 'Comedian' profiles TV's most popular comic and sitcom star, and ET has your first look!

After a hugely successful run with his NBC series, Jerry retired his standup act in 1998 on an HBO special entitled, "I'm Telling You for the Last Time." But he recently decided to return to his roots. Starting from scratch, he created 60 minutes of all-new material and invited director CHRISTIAN CHARLES and producer GARY STREINER to follow him from club to club. Using only two hand-held digital video cameras, the filmmakers documented the birth of a typical comedy act -- from the mind to the microphone.

In 'Comedian,' Jerry candidly reveals his offstage struggles and neuroses: from his self doubts to his quest for advice from friends and colleagues, including COLIN QUINN, CHRIS ROCK and GARRY SHANDLING.

At one point in the movie, Jerry vents his frustration backstage after audience members talk loudly through his routine.

"Did you hear, when I stopped at one point, how many people were talking?" he asks. "How well do you have to do before someone's going to [expletive] listen up? How big do you have to [expletive] be? What kind of material do you have to have to make them pay attention?"

Less a concert film and more a documentary on the standup process, 'Comedian' shows Jerry simply as a comedian trying to put together an act and entertain audiences. The movie opens in New York August 30 and hits select theaters in September.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yes I always wondered if they'd do A Sein film and now they finally have can't wait for it and I hope The Irish Cinemas do show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'd suspect it might only be shown in the likes of the IFC or The Screen (Maybe) other than that I wouldn't be holding out too much hope. Although I think you can be guarenteed it will be available on DVD in the near future. AFAIK, that was the main reason for doing the documentary in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Natalia

At least you can hope to see it!

I don't think there is a chance here in Buenos Aires,,,,, :(

Well,,, Maybe I 'll have to wait for the DVD but it would be nicer if it were in theaters.

The interesting of all this is that is going to be new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well its hit the screens this weekend.
    My Mom and sister have promised to go look at it on my behalf so I'll let you know what they think.

At the moment it prolly looks like it will only be released on DVD in Europe becuse even in NYC its only showing in 3 cinemas. (2 of them on the Upper West Side which is real Jerry territory)

Heres a poster form the official site...

p_comedian.jpg

Advertisement