Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bass training

Options
  • 07-08-2002 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

seems more appropriate to put here move it if ya want.

I got a some free time on my hands and and am looking to form a band (got the rest of band except bass) and all the bass players i know or have audition are either crap, fighting for dominance with the lead guitarist (me) or just plain dickheads. So i figured i'd teach a friend who knows nothing about guitar but wants to learn, bass. Wondering how long it would take to get him reasonably up to scratch? he's a smart guy willing to learn and c'mon bass aint as hard as guitar but saying that, there are many bass players out there who would certainly outshine many a lead guitarist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I'd say 2 months, and he'll be good enough.
    He'll have to build up finger strength, so try those finger weights maybe?
    And he'll have to practice.
    Make sure you give him material he will want to learn.
    But then i'm no expert, it also kinda depends on what kinda bass he's gona be playing like if it like 4 times on this string 4 times on the next string he could learn that pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

I'd have to disagree, playing the bass is easy, but very hard to master.

I plat Fretless, 5-string, 6-String have been playing for over 10 years and i'm still learning every day.
    If you want someone who's is going to take out his plectrum and play root notes then that's the way to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

alot longer than 2 months if he knows absolutly nothing, it takes a lot longer than 2 months to get finger strength up too. i've been playing for more than a year and i still feel my fingers are weak. anyways get him to do the excercises on www.teachmebass.com the best site for it really

Advertisement