Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up XP cd's

Options
  • 07-08-2002 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have XP Pro, my daughters have XP Home. I'd like to make backup cd's of both, for the obvious reason of cd damage and also to create a cd with all relevant drivers etc on the one disc.

The problem is, if I make a backup of all the files on the cd's to my hard disk and then burn them onto cd using the relevant cd labels, using Nero, the discs will not autorun at bootup. They will however if I do a 1:1 copy.

How can I make a bootable cd of XP from my hard disk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

use cdrwin or clonecd, you should be able to find trials of each at download.com.
    cdrwin seemed to work for xp home edition anyway
    /edit
    oops, didnt read your post properly.
    i'd say your best bet is to make 2 individual cd's, not try sticking both on the same cd

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with tman. 2 CDs is a good way to do it.

Plus, if you use a CDRW for the drivers, you can check around once a month for latest drivers and update the CDRW as necessary.

An alternative (and what I've done) is to use Symantec's Ghost. Install the base operating system, latest drivers and nothing else. Ghost the drive. The image should fit on a CD which you can then put away. Extremely handy, and allows for a full (painless) reinstallation of windows in less than15 minutes.

You'll have to buy ghost, though.... (about €40 I think)

- Dave.

Advertisement