Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous people youve met/seen

• 08-08-2002 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hmm,lets see.........
    From the top deck of a bus in Dublin about a year i saw Joe Duffy at a wedding.If i had known that a year from then he would have presented the woeful homecoming so badly I would have disembarked the bus and took position behind a grassy knoll with me sniper rife.
    John Bruton at the opening of Blanchardstown centre,and Albert Reynolds on a plane as well as for German PM Helmut Kohl rushing to an EU meeting in Dublin in his merc(I only knew it was him after it showed him on the news that night).
    Daniel O Donnell:D
    Daytime tv legend Derek Davis(I was only a little kid at the time and when i saw him i roared out"Jaysus,hes massive!".He heard me!:eek: )
    Ray Darcy former Den presenter and hash legalisation dude.
    Ann Doyle(you see her quite often shopping in Dublin,ive seen her about 3 times)
    Some one who presents that GMTV show on ITV.Cant remember her name but we saw her outside her place in Dalkey or Kiliney,my mother(who watches tha sort of rubbish)told me who she was but me cant remember.
    So who have you seen?And no mentioning all the bands you saw in concert or everyone on a football team-it counts only if you see the person in public or if you actually get to meet them at the concert/match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I met and spoke to for a long period of time Andrea Corr, I saw loads or "Famous people" while on work experience in RTe, and also in Ardmore Sound I saw yer man who directed the butcher boy. I Met Ray carcy, and the fit one that presented a childrens programme a while back...... cant remember her name. I played on the Edge's air drum machine when I was on work experiend in Lime street sound. I cant remember famous people I've met...... actually I met Bertie some where, and Mary robinson..... and some other dodgy politican. FFS.... this is pointless at this time of night. I'll remember more in the morning.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

i met paul young when i was 2 years old... my mum asked him if he'd be able to get me out of the bathroom, coz i ran in there (wasn't i a good little boy? :p) (she didn't know it was paul young at the time, till someone told her)

i also met kevin spacey and got his autograph... so fun when he was literally in your back garden, well... in the car park in front of it :D he waved at me when i saw him again :)

i met 2 american basketball players and got their autographs and i also met eddie mccormack and got his autograph too (at school)

and most recently, i got a pat on the shoulder from bertie as i was getting back to my till at work

does fergal quinn count? lol... if he does, i met hm twice... not surprisingsince i work in superquinn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

my sister once served Alvin Stardust chicken in a Basket or possibly it was some kind of battered fish.
    A mate once claimed to have seen Stephen Fry but he didnt mention it till he had gone so he could have been mistaken.
    I once saw lisa Godard but she was looking the other way.
    I think also i might have seen Paul Nichols of Just good friends.
    Also i once saw Geoffry Boycott on a Pub Pavillion drinking a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think this kind of thread is just sad really...:(:(:(

[hypocrite]I saw Michelle Pfeifer (damned if I can spell it) in Munich once. I was walking down the street and was wondering why this woman coming towards me looked familiar. It hit me just as we were about to pass each other, mainly because she was dressed exactly the same way she was in Dangerous Minds. She gave me a big smile and said hello.........I stood there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open watching her pass.[/hypocrite]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Let's see...

Billy Connolly (ok, I didnt meet him as such... but I sat next to him in a hotel foyer)
    Brian Reddin (from RTÉ's 'Last Picture Show')
    Andy Ruane (Like It? Love It! Productions)
    Mick Lally (Miley from Glenroe)
    Peter Clohessy ("The Claw" of Irish Rugby)
    Mary Robinson (then President of Ireland)
    Pat Cox (President of the European Parliament)

Bryan McFadden (Westlife) and Kerry Kitana (I served behind the bar for their baby's christening party)
    Shane Lynch of Boyzone (He came to the christening party)
    Ronan Keating (met him shopping in the Omni Centre. Twice. A few years ago now. Chatted with him. Seemed like a nice bloke at the time... autograph hunting obsessive teens were annoying him.)

--

DeVore, Kharn, WWMan, Bubbles, amp, Monty, ... they're all famous aren't they? ... :p

Well I've met them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

the guy from the chicken tonight ad with the two flatmates comes into our shop sometimes
    i keep seeing gabriel byrne round town
    ann doyle is always hanging around town aswell
    i saw two chicks from six around the place too (oh lucky lucky me!)

i'm sure there's probably more, but its usually z-list "celebrities" off irish tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

met a few famous people.

Ray D'arcy (Féile '91, had dinner at same table as him)
    Dave Fanning (CreamFields 2000)
    Prodigy (Witnness 2002, got in to their VIP tent)
    Ruairi Quinn :rolleyes: met him in limerick
    JJ72 (SmithField Concert 2001)
    Manic Street Preachers (met lead singer at SmithField Concert 2001)
    Ronan Keating's wife Yvonne :D (Slane 2001, stunning woman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I met loads of famous people which I'm not going to rhyme off... only thing i will tell you about is....

... i got off with Lorraine Pilkington (actress - Last of the Hign Kings - Human Traffic etc) one night at a party.

I don't really go for the whole celebrity thing to be honest. Most of them I met are just self obsessed plonkers..... anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Met Loads, top of the list at the moment is Miss Ireland, met her at the weekend she was down for a festival, i was talking to her for a while on friday night, but i knew i had no chance with her because i couldn't really string two words together, as well as dropping my glass when she started to talk to me.

She laughed everytime she saw me for the rest of the weekend.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hmmmm

Pink in the Elbow rooms in Angel, London even played pool with her and got a kiss (ok so it was only on the cheek)
    Gaberial Byrne
    Dave Morales
    Jon The Dentist DJ'ing the same night as him
    Blu Peter DJ'ing the same night as him
    Prodigy
    Kemisty and Storm
    Mr C
    Norman Cook
    Propeller Heads
    Mick Lally
    Mark Kavannagh

And a good few others

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

met a load of wrestling personalitys, met some of the corrs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mark kavanagh, mr spring, nick warren and a couple more
    had a good chat with francois (or however you spell it) at an after party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I met bubbles once, it was exhilerating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Working in the security industry i've met a few..

Fatboy Slim + Zoe.
    That model that used to to Ireland Am and big brekky
    Patrick Kielty
    Trevor Nelson
    Mark Kavanagh
    Lisa lashes
    bjorn again
    Abbaesque
    Aslan
    Orbital
    Joe Dolan
    Bond (The saucy girl classical music act)
    A few pints with Mark Fehilly.
    Ronan Keating
    Toploader
    An emotional Fish
    Pat + Gay (Late Late)
    Anne Doyle
    That old lady who has worked in the olympia for about 100 years and every calls Mam :P

I missed out on a class job working at the MTV awards in the point. A fella i know was part of the lighting crew and he needed somebody but i wasnt around.
    He met Christina Aguelera J-lo and basically everyone who was there. hmmmm Britney. He said he had never seen such a group of people who could'nt drink. The VIP bar was just full of sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sang a song with the stunning at my Uncle's wedding.

Used to play footy with Time man of the year or was it century, Ronnie O' Brien.

Met Gary Speed and had a chat with Steve Staunton at a Liverpool v Newcastle game at Anfield.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A few...
    • Desmond Lewellen (sp?) who played Q in the James Bond films (RIP)
    • Mary Robinson when she was El Presidenté
    • I told Anne Doyle she rocked when I bumped into her once on Nassau Street :p
    • Served Mick McCarthy pints along with Pat Quigley (former president of the FAI - a Castlebar man).
    • I think when I was younger I met Louis Walsh - back when he was managing Linda Martin and Johnny Logan (both of which I definitly met cause they're friends with my mother). Louis was probably sniffing around looking for more money or something - if only I knew then what I know now I could have saved us a lot of pain.
    There's a few more no doubt - Mick Lally and Andy Ruane that Bard mentioned above.

Of course, when you *are* a celebrity, this sort of thing becomes mundane... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hmmmm.... all of Faith No More - Lunatics

All of Aslan - Christy's an arséhole. Didn't want me to play the drums.
    All of Ocean Colour Scene - guitarist complimented my drumming.
    and I played a tune with the band in front of Louis Walsh - who's also an arséhole.
    I'm sure there's others but I can't think right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hmm.

I met/served Paul Gascoigne in a fast food resturant late one night.
    Tottenham were over playing pre season friendly, and Gazza obviously went out on the piss afterwords. he seemed friendly enuff, but i couldnt understand a word the chap was saying, i mean that accent is bad enough when he's sober!
    (He got a 1/4 pounder)

I also served Jack Charlton in a different branch of this fast food chain, on an Ireland day, (he got a doner kebab, I think).
    He seemed pleasant too.

And i met then who walked on the moon with Niel Armstrong, but like everyone else, i cant remember his name either.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

When i was working in a video store in Limerick one of the blokes from The Cranberries got a video out. Ransom i think it was.

Talked to Jason Byrne at a Comic gig in Castlebar one.

Jack Charlton visited my local soccer team when i was 12

Thats about it. Given the chance, id tell Anne Doyle she rocked too !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

i've got a mate who got backstage at reading in '92 and handed his camera to all and sundry for them to take pictures of him

i'm itching to give my list but you'd be up to yer knees in dropped names

ooh wahhha hah hahhhha hha hahhhhhhhhhhahhhahhaaa!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

I've met a few like Bono (who wants to touch me?...) and Patrick Kielty, Huey from FLC and Ozzy, but the best has to be Louis Walsh and the Chili's gig in June. He he.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Me just remembered this but im fairly sure i saw that bearded guy from Jurassic Park(Richard Attenborough?)outisde these film studios in Wicklow.And i once saw your man who does the UTV weather. So thats roughly 11 that i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus... Here I go...

I've met:

Peter Lindgren
    Vinny Cavanagh
    Danny Cavanagh
    Les Smith
    All of Cradle Of Filth (Midian era line-up)
    All of My Dying Bride (Current Line-up)
    Sarah Jezebel Deva
    Rob Holiday
    Wayne Hussey
    Dino Carerez
    Daniel Liljekvist
    Peter from Vader
    All of Dew Scented
    All of Centurian (Broken Up now)
    Mark McCabe (Pity I didn't punch him out)
    Phil Coulter
    Gabriel Byrne
    Patsy Kensit

There's plenty more people I've met, but I can't think of them right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Errr, im going to sound like a complete wanker but here goes;

edited

I do sound like a complete wanker:)

More than anyone here, ask me on irc:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Mick McCarthy
    Shay Given
    Bertie Ahern (drinks in the same pub as my godmother)
    Jim Adkins
    Zach Lind
    Billie Joe Armstrong
    Will from Fenix*TX
    Brian McFadden
    President McAleese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Mike Murphy - yeah whos yo daddy bitch

The chubby guy with black hair from apres match sat beside me on the dart last year - whos ya amammy

Singer from Therapy - about 6 or 7 years back when i was 10, my older sister sent me over as she was too nervous, he was a really sound guy chatted to me for ages about music and what my favourite track was. To be honest i had no idea who he was at the time, as i was a scatman fan then b bop bop bop ba a bo. Really sound bloke considering i was probably annoying the fLlck out of him.

paul mcgrath, niall quinn and packie all on separate occasions.
    mary robinson, sure does get around.
    bono and the edge.

My dad met jimi hendrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I saw that boxer dude in town...the one that speaks gay .... he was beside me and i said "Hey, that s that gay boxer" ... i kinda wonder if he heard me.

I cant remember any others but ive met a few.

Oh and the weather guy from tv3, martie king or something, you know they guy who always sounds like he has a red hot cyber rod dick up his ass.

Asked him to say hello to me on the weather but he blatantly refused, last time i watch tv3. I'd rather have that irish girl on sky news, think she is from limerick, cant remember her first name surname is burke great stuff and that news reader from sky news Natasha Kaplinski great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Samuel L Jackson
    David Bowie
    Gay Byrne
    Mick McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Oh yea.. met Mick McCarthy... was with him when he stayed at a hotel near me...

Saw. Gary Lineaker (Sp?) when i was at Legoland in UK (legoland is cool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Caesar: that weather girl from Sky News is Lisa Burke, from Laois. She's NICE :cool:

She is fantastic, i would give anthing to meet her awwwwwwwww.

Her and me and natasha kaplinski simultaneously, repeat till fade.

Originally posted by Kharn

Of course, when you *are* a celebrity, this sort of thing becomes mundane... :p

Agreed.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I saw Gerry Ryan(Radio guy not sexy star trek woman) in dublin airport a few weeks ago.
    I was gonna start shouting "Gerry,gerry,gerry......"
    But alas I didnt have the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh, I met Lars Fredrickson too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

jaysus.

I met

andy townsend
    kevin sheedy
    gabriel byrne
    mary mc alleese.
    gay byrne
    saw colin farrell ( walked past me a few months ago )
    ken doherty (walked past me a minute after colin farrell)
    walked past the dandy warhols at witnness
    tom dunne
    dave fanning (kissed him on the cheek, he was mildly freaked out)
    saw louis walsh on a plane a few weeks ago.
    saw brian mcfadden on grafton street
    ronan collins
    saw that guy from glenroe with the dodgy big moustache
    met suzanne from fair city at witnness
    louise loughman that used to present 'fish'.
    pat o'neill (ex dublin manager)
    john mcgahern
    saw mick lally in town
    mike murphy
    pate jennings (legendary goal keeper)

there's more but i can't think of them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just remembered! Caesar_Bojangle reminded me with his tale of meeting Andy from therapy? I met Martin from the band (Guitar and Chello player) and I met Scott and Jay (the 2 guitar players) from Defenistration the same night (they were support to Therapy?) - they were gonna bring me and my mates into the Ambasador for pints, but security said no. Bastids. Got autographs of the lot too. The Defenistration lads are nutters - complete nutters :) Also met and got the autograph from the dummer from Il Nino at Ozzfest.

Jack Charlton was sitting across from me in McSwiggans in Galway last year too. He was in good form as he seemed to have caught a big fish or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul_mccourt

Met and had a chat with Stephen Rea last year on Oxford street in London. Really really nice guy.

Met Barry McGuigan when I was a kid and watched Neil Jordan park his car outside the Irish Film center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ah, to have a job where you have to hob with the nobs eh...

memorable moments:

having a chat with Brian Dowling of Big Brother Fame about where we buy our flared trousers

giving Slash from Guns n Roses a light for his cigarette and coming a little TOO close to setting his hair on fire

chickening out of going drinking with Shay Given and what he described as 'a few of the lads' in Newcastle

throwing a football to Eamon Dunphy at a photoshoot and him completely fluffing trying to solo the ball, to howls of derision from the press photographers

running around the corner of a hedge at 7am on a Saturday morning with a fishing rod in my hand when I was about 14, and promptly smacking into Bono and sending him flying (oops)

...there's a common theme here, and I think it's 'me looking inelegant again' so I'll stop now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

My weirdest was meeting Orson Welles in a village called Nyborg in Denmark. It was 6am in the morning, I'd just got off a train and was totally lost. I had to ask someone directions and he was the only person around. He died about 3 months later.

In a related story (Orson Welles did spoken narrative on two Manowar tracks and their intro tape) Joey DeMaio from Manowar made me chili backstage in the Milton Keynes Leisure Centre one afternoon.

Met Metallica in an empty nightclub in London many years ago and my friend got into a fight with James Hetfield.

Drank with Eric Clapton in the bar at Brixton Academy during a Megadeth?!? gig.

Lemmy bought me a rum and coke in The Hippodrome one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Loadsa sports peeps but prolly the 2 most memorable...

1. Sydney Potier in JFK Airport- brief chat...nice bloke ;)
    2. Kevin Costner (Ponce :p) when I was an extra in the film "For love of the Game"

--
    Peeps I've seen...

**Saw Arnold Schwarzenegger coming out of Cartier in NYC a few years ago. Obviously he's not as pumped up as he used to be but he's suprisingly average in height. You'd been forgiven for missing him in a crowd :)

**Saw Robbie Williams in Heathrow in 1999. He came out of Burger King with "minders"- only a fleeting glance tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

(forgot: Sylvester Stallone, Alec Baldwin, Arnold Schwarzunprounounceablesnamesanegger, Bob Geldof etc. at the opening of Planet Hollywood on Stephen's Green - crap gig, but it's funny to watch the famous restaurant owners wolfing down burgers like they're going out of fashion to try and show that they really believe it's good food. Bet they all puked in the back of their bullet proof limos on the way home.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this beats ye all, Fr. Jack

... and Bertie (but I ignored him).

i once stoned louis walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I guess I've met about as much 'famous' people as anyone else here but the only one I want to mention is No Disco presented Uaneen Fitzsimons who I met at a JJ72 gig in Whelans a couple of years ago.

I was kinda debating the whole 'will I say hello/will I not say hello' thing in my head for a while before I finally decided to go over and say hi to her. Dave Fanning and a few other people were with here and he seemed a little ticked off that I said hi to her before him. We all chatted for a few minutes and that was that.

Anyway, Uaneen was killed in a car crash shortly after that and as such I was glad I at least got to say hello and tell her that I appreciated the work she was doing.

oh I forgot, I also met the following when I was a kid ;)

Zig & Zag and Ian Dempsey from "Dempsey's Den"
    Professor Know-it-all and Pajo from "Pajo's Junkbox"

--

I guess another question could be... what celebrities would be top of your list of people you want to meet/hang out with ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ray Darcy
    Brendan O' Carroll
    Paul McGrath
    Dj Carey :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'v seen Ann Doyle and Niall Quinn.

Sean Óg DePaor (Galway senior Football midfielder) was my science teacher for 3 years in secondary school, sound lad.

I'm pretty sure i've met other people too.

From Boards I've met Dav, Rope, Fio, Angelwhore, kayos, mikill, Cloud, Kix, Bubbles, Sico, Azezil, Searrard, Berutiel, Old Yeller, DooDee, Drake, Bard, Gerry, Neuro_praxis, DBC, nakey, Tac, Lemming, Berutiel's daughter (RAARRR! ;) ), Eddie Rocket, Trojan, Phobos, Elexes, Ivan, The_Bullman, Leeroy_brown, Deco, ajnag, nadir, Robbo, and a blast more......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Originally posted by Pigman
    I guess I've met about as much 'famous' people as anyone else here but the only one I want to mention is No Disco presented Uaneen Fitzsimons who I met at a JJ72 gig in Whelans a couple of years ago.
    Hey, I was there. I was beside dave fanning. We had a chuckle at darragh purcell, after he ponced past apparently ignoring dave's hello. My mate had met Uaneen before and I was trying to get him to introduce me but he couldn't be bothered. So that was that.

Can porcine Sindo hack jason o'callaghan be considered 'famous'? Following a bizarre chain of events on one cold and frosty night, the fecker attacked me off wicklow street. That man belongs behind bars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement