Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big films that never get shown

• 08-08-2002 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Despite the fact they are some of the most talked about films today how come the Godfather trilogy and the Star Wars films have never been on tv as far as i can remember anyway?Not terrestrial tv anyway.Its a bit odd aint it?They were popular films(with the exception of the much maligned Godfather 3,i wanna see how bad it REALLY was:D )so theyd get huge ratings.Whats up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Both the Godfather and star wars have been on terrestrial TV*

Star wars was on tv one christmas about 10 years ago and Godfather was on tv just a few months ago.

*BBC, ITV, C4, C5... dont know about RTE ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You used to be guaranteed a Star Wars film every Christmas, then they stopped showing them.
    The Godfather trilogy has been shown aswell, last time it was shown was on satellite, eh, what do you call it Sky Cinema? The one that shows all the old films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Even with Episodes 1 and 2 of Star Wars released in the cinema no channels screened eps 4-6 which is very surprising as there's now a whole generation of new fans who wouldn't have seen them before. I'm presuming the costs of showing them was raised or it was even prohibited by Lucas or sth until the first 3 have been released. Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is it possible Sky poached the TV rights to Eps. 4-6?

I remember a few months ago, they used to show the trilogy every second day on one of their Premier Channels.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

And Aliens is never on at all now, which is my fave film ever :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by Pugsley
    And Aliens is never on at all now, which is my fave film ever :o

Because Alien is better. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

i think aliens was on channel 4 within the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I never watch terrestrial TV any more since i got sky but i do remember Alien, Aliens and a load of Star Wars being shown all the time... especially what i noticed is RTE and BBC would show them withing days of each other...

Look at Jurassic Park.. took almost a year to get to video... 2 or 3 to get to sky digital and 3-4 to get to terrestrial and i think i noticed it once or twice at most since then...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Aliens has been on both TV3 and TG4 in the last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Actually TG4 show a lot of oldish films.
    Over the past year they have shown a couple of Arnie films and a few others I cant remember.
    If only they advertised Tg4 more on RTE I would get to see more of the films they show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Both the Godfather and star wars have been on terrestrial TV*

Star wars was on tv one christmas about 10 years ago

And i have it on tape :D .. it was on some time around 1985 or something on RTE1.... its really funny to watch cos there are ads for really bad stuff .. like the Ford Grenada and stuff... Oh yea.. and the 80s clothes are always worth a laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

haven't ITV got the rights for episodes 4 - 6 of Star Wars. i saw an ad a while back saying they were going to be shown soon. probably after the Summer*. my guess is September or October

*what Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

About 2 and half weeks ago I was flipping through the Rte guide and it said that in the coming months RTE will be showing the Godfather Trilogy, Star Wars Episodes 1,4,5,6 and some other "exclusive" movies.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

sky movies used to have them on ina row everyday
    phantom menace being on twice a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by TmB
    Is it possible Sky poached the TV rights to Eps. 4-6?

20th Century Fox being the film company behind the Star Wars movies and BskyB being affilliated with Fox...

... yeah ... that's possible....

possible that they had *exclusive* rights for a while... I guess...

... possible... but unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Actualy, it's Lucas.
    You'll also notice that you can't readily buy star wars video's eaither.
    They're usually released "For A Limited Time Only".
    It's a way of maximising sales.
    Disney do they same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bard
    possible that they had *exclusive* rights for a while... I guess...

... possible... but unlikely.

The odd thing is that when Sky ran their "Top (whatever) - 3000 at last count Movies of the Millennium" (which for some reason only contained movies for the last 100 years, can't understand that myself) Titanic and Star Wars were the top 2. They showed Titanic as part of the season but didn't bother showing Star Wars. Or most of the rest of the top 20 that they didn't have rights to.

Fox officially just distributed all but the first didn't they?

Advertisement