Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in PIO mode

• 08-08-2002 4:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

I have 2 hard drives on the primary IDE chanel, a dvd-rom as master and a cd-rw as slave on the other chanel.

The master device on the secondry chanel is stuck in PIO mode so when i go to use it, copy files to/from it it max's out the cpu - which isnt fun. The other 3 devices all use UDMA and they are fine when using them - nomial cpu usage.

It was the cd-rw that was as master but i switched it to the dvd-rom because i use it less.

Im running XP pro on an abit kg7-raid motherboard

Anyone know whats wrong and what i can to to fix it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

*bump*

noone have any idea whats going on ?!?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I have a similar sorta config and afaik its normal for tyhe cdrw to be in pio mode.

try the usual firmware updating etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just checked mine - both IDE channels running in UltraDMA mode (if I hadn't checked I would have been sure the channel with DVD &CDRW drive was in PIO mode)

Try firmware upgrade as BazH has said.

Also try:
    In Device Manager
    (right click My Computer-->Properties-->Hardware tab-->Device Manager)
    IDE ATA ATAPI controllers
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Advanced Settings tab
    Change "Transfer Mode" on both devices to "DMA if available"
    Reboot.
    Go back in for a look to see if "Current Transfer Mode" has changed to DMA

Obviously check in the bios as well (but I'm guessing you've tried that)

Advertisement