Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Programming

Options
  • 08-08-2002 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'd like to start learning C, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good sites/books/cds etc to get me started. Preferably with examples, tutorials and the like, if this is the best way to start? I'd appreciate any info you peeps have :)
    Thanks!

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Have you tried the FAQ (listed in the Stickey thread above)?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Yup, and the links are 404's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Personally I think the book by the people who wrote C, Kernaghan and Ritchie, is the best. It's quite a purists book though, with no fancy pictures and a limited amount of verbiage. Good for the specifics of C, but if you're new to programming as a whole it might not be so good...?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Cond0r

Should mention it on the FAQ, although I guess whoever maintains the FAQ will read this thread. Might want to add whatever you find to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My first C book was a really good, concise one called "A guide to C programming". (it's in its 3rd Ed. now)

Can't remmeber who by, but it's excellent for beginners, and its very cheap. When bought it a few years ago it was about IR£14.00 and came with a dos based compiler on disk.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by simon_partridge
    Personally I think the book by the people who wrote C, Kernaghan and Ritchie, is the best. It's quite a purists book though, with no fancy pictures and a limited amount of verbiage. Good for the specifics of C, but if you're new to programming as a whole it might not be so good...?
    First of all, thanks for the reply!:)
    But as i'm only new to programming I think I might be looking for something more like this:
    Originally posted by Lemming
    My first C book was a really good, concise one called "A guide to C programming". (it's in its 3rd Ed. now)

Can't remmeber who by, but it's excellent for beginners, and its very cheap. When bought it a few years ago it was about IR£14.00 and came with a dos based compiler on disk.
    Was it per chance this book by O'Reilly? I think what you've described sounds perfect :)

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Was it per chance this book by O'Reilly? I think what you've described sounds perfect :)

Nope .. that wasn't it. I'll have a look and see if I can't find out the author and publishing house.

It wasn't a book from a "series" if you catch my drift??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Nope .. that wasn't it. I'll have a look and see if I can't find out the author and publishing house.

It wasn't a book from a "series" if you catch my drift??
    Yep :)
    If I'm not mistaken thats a C++ book:p
    Thanks tho! :)

Here it is ...

"Guide to C Programming"

Paul Kelly
    Click Here

As an aside .... some C++ books go through the rudiments of C programming, such as the Deitel & Deitel books.

If you move beyond the scope of the Paul Kelly book, I recommend two books on C.

1. The Kernaghan and Ritchie C book (aka, the C Bible)

2. C, How to Program - Deitel & Deitel

Whislt I never used the secnod book mentioned there, I have used several other Deitel & Deitel books (C++, Java, etc) and they are of a very good and thorough standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sorry, you're incorrect. All of the links on the FAQ are working fine, and are not 404s.

Regards,
    Al.

Here it is ...

"Guide to C Programming"

Paul Kelly
    Click Here

As an aside .... some C++ books go through the rudiments of C programming, such as the Deitel & Deitel books.

If you move beyond the scope of the Paul Kelly book, I recommend two books on C.

1. The Kernaghan and Ritchie C book (aka, the C Bible)

2. C, How to Program - Deitel & Deitel

Whislt I never used the secnod book mentioned there, I have used several other Deitel & Deitel books (C++, Java, etc) and they are of a very good and thorough standard
    Excellent thanks a mill i'll probably get that.:)
    Originally posted by Trojan
    Sorry, you're incorrect. All of the links on the FAQ are working fine, and are not 404s.

Regards,
    Al.

They were 404's when I checked this morning.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I think faqs.org was down this morning, I was looking for something there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

C was my first programming language too, and I started with "Teach yourself C in 21 Days" on Sams Premier. AFAIK the version that is around today is pretty much the same thing. It's very good, and it alone gave me a good foundation to structured methodologies & the C programming language. :)

It's a very easy book to get your hands on, and is typically found in the likes of Easons or Waterstones, etc.

;-phobos-)

Originally posted by phobos
    C was my first programming language too, and I started with "Teach yourself C in 21 Days" on Sams Premier. AFAIK the version that is around today is pretty much the same thing. It's very good, and it alone gave me a good foundation to structured methodologies & the C programming language.

This sounds good too, but I read somewhere that those teach yourself quick books aren't very good or something?
    I dunno, just something I came across.
    Thanks though!

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

I have QUE "C by Example". I found it here at home. I thought it'd be best to use this thread since it's the same sort of questions...

I was wondering if this book which was published in '96 would be worth reading. Now it seems to be very informitive but what I'm afraid of is that I'll be learning C that isn't relative to today? or up to date? Should I worry about that and buy one of the books mention up above?
    Or C in 96 not much different to C now in 02?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Haven't read the Que book, but "C" hasn't changed since 1996. In truth it hasn't changed much since 1978, when the Kernighan and Ritchie book was first published.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

C hasn't changed since 1996 as long as you ignore the new C standard that was introduced in 1999. A lot of the changes are still not in common usage as far as I can see though. To say it hasn't changed since 1978 is a bit dubious imo though. ANSI C has some important improvements over K&R.

When you get used to C, consider buying "Expert C: Deep C secrets" by Peter Van Der Linden (I can't recommend this book enough) and "Writing Solid Code" by Steve Maguire. If you get very interested in C standards and potential bugs, then look at "Safer C: Developing Software for High-Integrity and Safety-Critical Systems" by Les Hatton. Excellent author, and the book is relevant to any software development done in any language, despite the title, and it's specific focus on C 'failure modes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

I feel quite safe ignoring the 1999 C standard, since the vast majority of the compiler vendors are. I didn't say it hadn't changed since 1978, I said it hadn't changed much.I meant you can hrow practically anything from K+R at a current compiler, and it will compile and do what you expected.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

In relation to Patrick's question, it is fair enough to say that his book written in 1996 will be very relevant to today. I did note that the features are not widely used. I am just pointing out that there has been some movement on the standard.

I do not believe it is fair enough to say the same about any book written which covers pre-ANSI C however, which is what you appeared (to me at least) to be saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement