Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k server HELP ME !!!!!

• 08-08-2002 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Right, i have a problem here thats doing my head in and im hoping one of you can help me out.

I have 5 servers here , a mixture of win2k and NT4, i recently upgraded one of the servers to Win2k (member server).

Heres the problem : On the newly upgraded win2k server i can not see anything on the network, i can ping all other servers by ip address but not by name. I cant browse the network or map a drive.

The ip address is correct , the mask is correct, the wins address are correct and Im not using DNS (yet).

Im thinking its a WINS/name resoltion problem.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

have you microsoft client and server for microsoft networks installed?(start/settings/control panel/network and dial up connections/lan connection properties)
    i know it sounds like a simple thing but it's those that get you every time.

also check the ip properties for the connection and see if you have LMHOSTS lookup enabled?(advanced/wins) and netbios over tcp/ip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Thanks for the suggestions but ive already tried that with no luck

Any other suggestions people ?

make sure your computer browser and computer server services are started? can other machines see you on the network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might it be something to do with Netbios? just a thought...

oh and check the event viewer for any error..it might give you a head start on something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Do you have an entry in WINS for the upgraded server? Check in the WINS cache. Try removing the old WINS entry for the upgraded server and refreshing the cache. Or you could enter a static WINS entry for the win2k server to see if that works. Statics aren't they way to go but it might help you in your troubleshooting.

You could also try doing a net view \\server_name from the command line and see what comes back. If nothing comes back you have a WINS problem.

Advertisement