Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System reboots immediately when attempting to dial up (USB ISDN adaptor, win2k)

Options
  • 08-08-2002 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

The machine in work here has a funny problem, the first time you try to connect (€ircom isdn) it just reboots, immediately. After that, though, it works perfectly... until the next day, when it happens again!

It's started happening in the last week or so, we've had ISDN here for over a month and it was working perfectly.

The ISDN adaptor is a Draytek "mini-vigor", tiny little blue box.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

no,it's not the hardware.
    this is also happening to my home machine :(
    i have not had the time to look at it yet,but i think it's something to do with the RAS or dial-up services in win2k itself..a reinstall should fix it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If its win2k take the tick out of Automatically Reboot in system properties/in the startup tab (in advanced).

That way instead of rebooting it should give you a blue screen with an error... stick that into Technet and see if there is an easy way to fix it... Also check your event viewer.

If its win 9x/me then it will be different but probably relating to DUN... uninstall and reinstall all DUN and dial up stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

It sounds like it's been semi-solved already but to me it sounds like a driver problem. I recently bought a SoundBlaster Audigy Player card and installed it. When I went into it's software (in WinXP) and tried to change the output (eg. from 5.1 to headphones or vice versa) the machine would instantly power down. This would also happen during games (eg. SOF2) when I would try to adjust sound output settings.

So the other day i tipped off to the Creative website, got me some new drivers, and it's fixed. Seemed it was a driver problem with Win2k/XP but didn't occur in Win95/98/Me.

My advice is to look for some new drivers for the hardware. Couldn't hurt....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Ah, thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Strange how it does it the first time you try to connect each day, and is perfect for every time after that... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Anything odd in Event VIewer?

You're not using SurfControl 1.6x are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by sceptre
    You're not using SurfControl 1.6x are you?

Hah, no. :)

Will check the event log tomorrow too.

Advertisement