Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCi 2.1 2.2

• 08-08-2002 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

what's teh story?
    Is the difference primarily power feature related?

I'm looking to get the Orinoco PCMCIA > PCi adaptare card for the wireless card, but I don't want to have to buy a newish mobo and cpu+ram just for it.
    I'd love to get away with a pentium or celleron thingy for next-to-nothing.

Are PCMCIA hot-pluggable/unpluggable? If the only reason it needs Pci2.2 is to support some ghey power thingy can i use it with just a Pci2.1 mobo and lose the power features?
    This box will be on 24/7.
    Anyone managed to get the card working in an older system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

since when does the orinoco pcmcia->pci adapter require pci 2.2? The irishWan guys have been using them in all sorts of **** old pcs which I'm sure dont have pci 2.2.
    In fact, ppl have been complaining that the pci dlink-520 needs pci2.2 and thats why some are sticking with the orinoco adapter solution (other reasons too of course).
    I've got both solutions, and btw my p166 supports pci 2.2, dont know how many other pentiums do, but I'd imagine a good few of the newer ones (although like I said, I still dont think you need it for the orinoco).
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.agere.com/client/docs/PB02061-1.pdf
    It mentions Pci2.2 there, but I mis-read it :)

Thank christ....

Advertisement