Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Sports PPV?

• 08-08-2002 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

What actually are the terms of this? Will it be, as I have read somewhere else,the "live" games that BBC are putting out "live" for free in Scotland? And whichever it is, does anybody have any ideas about the cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

ChristyG,

As far as next Wednesday's Champions League game between Celtic and Basle, it's ONLY on Setanta (BBC1 are showing Man Utd networked at the same time).

It will cost you €14 to view a match on Setanta, and you'll have to dial a UK number to register.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

"An eleventh hour TV deal has been agreed with the SPL and the BBC which will see 38 games broadcast over the next two seasons.

The deal means that for the first time ever all four Old Firm clashes this season will be shown live throughout the UK.

Satellite broadcaster Setanta will show 34 of the BBC live games on a pay-per-view basis throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland, as well as a further 10 exclusive matches that will be available to armchair fans." from CelticFC.Net

To my knowledge, which I'll admit is limited at times, Setanta have PPV rights to screen only games outside the UK, they've had a long standing arrangement to screen Celtic games particularly for coverage across North America and Europe.

BBC Scotland has rights for UK but will not be broadcasting outside of Scotland with the exception of Celtic -v- huns which will go out across the BBC regions, so PPV everwhere else.

Pre season friendlies involving the Old Firm have been screened on Setanta at stg£7.99 payable by credit card. (Celtic -v- Parma enticed 6,000), didn't noticed if the Leeds -v- huns game was available to ROI last night.

When the service was initially muted Setanta were talking about a "Celtic" season ticket but .....

I'll be interested to see if ROI subs get the Old Firm games on BBC NI since this is a potential money earner for Old Firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

So in conclusion- The games won't be PPV in any part of the United Kingdom, and even if they were, they'd only show Celtic games. Which begs the follow-up question- Why can't Setanta market it as "Celtic TV" which, in effect, is what it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My understanding is that the 4 OF games will be on all BBC1 regions and the other 34 live games will be on BBC1 Scotland free and PPV on Setanta outside of Scotland.

Setanta will also have PPV games like the recent friendlies and any euro games excluding the champions league proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Folks,for gods sake, the only four games worth watching in Scotland every year are the old firm games. They're FTA on bbc.
    Don't bother feeding this Setanta crowd. Why pay to watch the equivalent of the Spurs/Celtic crap the other night. Setanta haven't done Irish viewers any favours with SKy Digital coverage of gaa blocked... i'd say, FORGET Setanta!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I wouldnt give them a penny. Arranging to get a Scottish FTV card to replace my London one at the moment.

Will probably end up watching the Nationwide on Sky ahead of a lot of the Scottish games.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

Heres the latest, looks like Setanta are running into problems with financial SPL expectations,

http://www.soccernet.com/scotland/news/2002/0808/20020808scottvnew.html

Looks more likely BBC Scotland will be the only source of live Scottish games,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

According to today's Scottish Daily Record newspaper, an agreement has been reached to show next Wednesday's champion's league qualifier (Celtic-Basle) on BBC1 Scotland, as well as on Setanta PPV.

The proposed Partick-Celtic game due to be shown on Sunday, Aug 25th has now been switched to Saturday, Aug 24th, 12.30pm kick-off, and will also be shown 'live' on BBC1 Scotland.

So good news for Celtic fans (with the right FTV cards, of course).

Advertisement