Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom;PC seizes phone line;email disconnects ISP

Options
  • 08-08-2002 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I had crackling phone line. Eventually (two yaers) Eircom resolved it. However, a new problem developed.
    The PC holds the phone line, even if the PC is turned off.
    (I have no dialing tone on my phone if the PC is connected to the phone line.)

So I tried my PC in a friend's house and there is no such problem.
    Then I tried his PC at my house and the same problem occurs.
    So it's the phone line. And it's nothing to do with connectors, splitters etc. Tried all that.

Then a new problem developed. If I'm online with Internet Explorer and then open up Outlook Express I loose my connection nearly every time. Similiarly if I try to go online via Outlook Express I connect then disconnect immediately.

I'm in dispute with Eircom over their ISP service. Can they feck with my line to cause these problems. It takes me tens of (charged) connections/disconnections to finally get a stable email contact.

I've been complaining to Eircom constantly. All they say is that they are not responsible for the internet service quality! They were supposed to send someone out to test the line's voltage; but didn't.

I'm sure I'm not unique with this problem. Anyone any knowledge or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

This should fix disconnections when you open OE, go to Tool > Options and click on the connection tab and see if hang up after sending and receiving is ticked, untick it if it is.
    They wouldn't be messing up your line to get more money or whatever.
    The dead phoneline problem does sound like the line is at fault, get on to them again about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Phew

Reasons Not

1. Eircom feckin with line to annoy you.

Reasons For (Based on your post partly)

1. Modem or modem cable is slightly dodgy.
    2. Cabling in house is dodgy, extension badly wired or something.
    3. Too many devices plugged in , mainly display phones that are line powered. Plug em all out and try again, plug em in one by one.
    4. Cabling outside is damaged.
    5. You may share line with other houses (a DACS box , do search bulletins to find out what this is)
    6. You may run win 95 or 98, I find that XP and 2000 have much better software and init strings for marginal conditions.
    7. The socket you use for the modem may be dodgy , esp if you constantly plug stuff in and out of it the pins get bent.
    8. You may live 4 miles or more from your exchange...your friend may live a lot closer.

A combination of one or more of the above

First do what Frank said.

M

Advertisement