Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

donnybrook wan

Options
  • 08-08-2002 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently brought my dubwan (http://dublin.irishwan.org) node up in donnybrook (eglinton rd). Wondering if anyone is nearby and is planning on getting a node up/ wants to link up. I'll be getting adsl in the future when esat reach donnybrook (december apparently) and would be interested in sharing the cost with a few others.

Running kismet I've found an aironet AP in infrastructure mode nearby, anyone want to claim this?
    Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

greg

how tall is your house? What's the range on all this? The website mentioned 10+ Km....

I'm pretty interested in what LEAP broadband have to offer... would it be same hardware as for WAN?

Colm

interested-but-ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

not sure if leap use 802.11b. I'd guess they've licensed part of another spectrum (pure guess).
    The range for 802.11b is up to 10km with the power levels we're allowed, but it requires perfect line of sight. If you can see my omni from your roof you can connect at long range, if you cant, then you may be able to connect if you're near enough.
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

that's what I thought about the line of sight - hence my how big is your house question. I'd guess there's 0% chance of dunlaoghaire -> donnybrook LOS :)

ps- come drinking on sat

yeah no chance of donnybrook to dun laoghaire. But theres other ppl out that way interested in dubWan There's even some active nodes bracketing dunlaoghaire, see http://dublin.irishwan.org/showmap.php . One of them even has adsl installed and the guy might well be interested in sharing it with others. I think it's the malcolm i know from dubWan, drop him an email, he's sound, you might be lucky.
    I've no-one really near me yet, tho there is a node due up very soon just down the road.
    quozl
    PS Already going drinking saturday, Cian O'Donavans having a house party, you and Peter could come along if you felt like it, you'd know a good few of us from trinity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by quozl
    not sure if leap use 802.11b. I'd guess they've licensed part of another spectrum (pure guess).
    The range for 802.11b is up to 10km with the power levels we're allowed, but it requires perfect line of sight. If you can see my omni from your roof you can connect at long range, if you cant, then you may be able to connect if you're near enough.
    quozl

10k ish... i know someone who has gotton 30k point to point

;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Rew

10k ish... i know someone who has gotton 30k point to point

;)
    ahh but as I said
    up to 10km with the power levels we're allowed

You're only legally allowed have 20 dBi output, that was obviously using way over the legal limit.
    quozl

Advertisement