Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me?

Options
  • 08-08-2002 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Or are the sugarbabes actually pretty good?

I love Overload (Can anyone confirm if thats a cover?) and the other two singles from that album werent totally offensive.

Freak was outstanding (yeh, i know its two covers but hey), but ive only heard there new single once.

Is it possible that in the midst of formulaic pop chartsters theres actually a songwriter with an ear for decent tunes?

Any other closet sugarbabes fans out there?

As a caveat, i have to admit that i think Guy Chambers (Robbies songwriter) is excellent, so i do have some tolerance for pop :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah I see, your sister got into your account. Thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

or else he has been on the vodka all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I love Overload (Can anyone confirm if thats a cover?)
    AFAIK it wasn't. They did a rundown on the album on dotmusic and mentioned about how they got the inspiration (haha) for all the tracks on the first album - never mentioned it was a cover.

As a caveat, i have to admit that i think Guy Chambers (Robbies songwriter) is excellent, so i do have some tolerance for pop :)
    Shot you should be*. Although I like She's the one (cover version so I may be excused) (though - see asterisk below). And most of the songs on the last album were quite good (ditto)

*not really - Chambers has actually written some good songs (er, including She's the one) - most of them before getting involved with Robbie unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'm not ashamed to say I like the Sugababes. Well maybe just a little ashamed.
    In fairness they can all sing, two out of three are good looking and their songs are catchy.
    ROUND ROUND BABY ROUND ROUND :D
    Actually I've liked all their singles so far, and they have taken a more mature route on their new album, which I prefer.
    Having said all that, it is only their singles I've heard. I don't have either album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

me neither makaveli, and the other singles from the overload album didnt persuade me to but it. Depending on any from this, i may well buy my first pop album in 15 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

/me sticks hand slowly up to agree with Dustaz, all points

off i go back to my Korn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Nah,I dont like their stuff at all.Its just pop in my honest opinion just like all the rest from the various pop girlbands and Britney Spearses of the world.Though its odd that two people on this thread are actually admitting to liking pop(albeit one song or 2 that is;) ).Hmmm,maybe its one of those threads where real music fans decide to unveil the single tenny poppers song they liked:DThe kind of stuff theyd never admit to their friends,only in the anomity of the internet. Right-me first:eek: Ive got to admit that i really loved that shakira song whenever wherever despite the fact it is aimed at the Britney Spears target market:D I dunno why-its just so catchy even for commercial pop.Maybe it grew on me as i watched the video of her wiggling that lovely bottom as Father Ted would say for the thousandth time but i really have to admit to liking that song:(
    Right,Ive come out of the musical closet,now its your turn.And dont worry fi youre ashamed-I know a guy who liked S Club 7 Dont stop moving:eek: It cant be worse than that.

Originally posted by The Gopher
    I know a guy who liked S Club 7 Dont stop moving:eek: It cant be worse than that.

hehehe.....
    I admitted to liking that in a thread on here a while back.

off i go back to my Korn
    I'd be more ashamed to admit I like Korn than Sugababes.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I love Overload (Can anyone confirm if thats a cover?)

Not a cover afaik but the bass line is a definitely lifted from 'White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane (I called it the Alice in Wonderland song when I was a wee thing and it probably came out before any of the Sugababes were born).

And yes, I will admit to liking the them... they've done some really catchy tunes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Yeah Sugarbabes are ok. The first single was pretty fine and the latest one (with the Gary Numan rip AFAIK?) isn't bad either. Pity they got rid of the sickly looking redhead that they had, she was cute.

• Advertisement

No it's good they got rid of the red head, now they have the totally hot blonde girl and she looks like one of my friends, which makes her even hotter.
    P.S. I am drunk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

nope , me no like the cut a their jib , not into the groovy pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They only seem good compared to the other pap in their target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Check out the showbiz section on sky news active and the sugarbabes are dissing groups who do covers.Their big hit freak like me was a cover for christ sake!!!!!!Either they dont know and somehow wrote identical lyrics or theyre hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

in terms of pop they just fit in exactly where the all-saints left off... that little bit more edgy and appealing.
    personally i don't particularly like their new single, their cover of freak wasn't at all bad though and overall i guess its pretty good pop they're churning out.
    i did prefer the redhead tho... that blonde looks lifted from atomic kitten i.e. revolting *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i love the sugababes. im not ashamed to say admit to being a pop tart. alt music will always be my no 1 choice, but i still lovea bit of pop, and the sugababes are really good, loved 'freak like me' but i havent heard the new song yet. but as u guys said, they ahven't yet nispired me to buy their album(nor even their single...i have mtv ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

they suck, and to make things worse, they're one of the "headliners" for this years creamfields:confused:
    (eta 11 days...)

i hav'nt really heard much of their stuff, just that crappy, cheapo video that was on mtv all the time about 4 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

all saints headlined creamfields uk two years ago. your point?

Originally posted by Kali

i did prefer the redhead tho... that blonde looks lifted from atomic kitten i.e. revolting *shudder*

Actually I think she used to be in Atomic Kitten.
    She's not revolting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

time for me to share my (useless but applicable to this thread) knowledge. she applied for Atomic Kitten but failed

as for the Sugababes outburst against cover version singers. what they actually did was blast groups/singers who don't write any of their songs. where as they do.

the last bit i read in yesterdays Sun

everyone should be happy now that their minds are at ease :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement