Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Recorders?

• 08-08-2002 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    (I hope I am on the right forum for this subject)
    I'm thinking of buying a DVD-R drive for my PC and I'm posting this message in the hope that someone out there might be able to give me some advice on the matter.
    I have a large collection of video tapes that I want to record to DVD and I am planning to hook up my video-recorder to my PC and transfer my collection to DVD in this way.
    I know it can be done but I need a TV-out card for my system which hopefully shouldn't be to expensive and software as well which comes bundled with the card in most circumstances.
    I had planned to buy a DVD Recorder if the price of them came down but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon so I've got sick of waiting and gone for the cheaper alternative.
    I have my eye on one that I saw on www.dabs.com. It's a Pioneer DVR-A04 and is priced at £300 sterling (about €500).
    It's a brand new model apparently and is about the only one that's within my price range.
    However, I am slightly worried that once I create the discs they may not play on certain DVD players.
    In the blurb for the DVR-A04 it says that it "provides wider compatibility" but that doesn't exactly allay my fears!
    If the discs are up to a high standard I may even try to sell them on the internet as I have loads of movies and soccer matches on videotape but they're not going to be very saleable if they only play on certain types of DVD players.
    Has anyone out there tried anything similar and run into difficulties?
    Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I have a large collection of video tapes that I want to record to DVD and I am planning to hook up my video-recorder to my PC and transfer my collection to DVD in this way.

You could put them on CD-R's and burn them as VCD's (Video CD's), playable on DVD players (i.e. connected to your TV). DVD option is better, though.

I know it can be done but I need a TV-out card for my system which hopefully shouldn't be to expensive and software as well which comes bundled with the card in most circumstances.

Surely TV-In, not TV-Out? Going from the Vcr -> Pc (to either a WinTV Capture Card, or, say, a GeForce4 Ti4400 which has a sVideo Tv-In/Out port). WinTV card would be cheaper. There is loads of video capture software available, see doom9 below.

However, I am slightly worried that once I create the discs they may not play on certain DVD players.

Check www.vcdhelp.com - Has a list of DVD players, and what CD's are compatible, etc. Also, www.doom9.org has good Video stuff on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks to all

I am presently reading reviews of the DVR-A04 on www.vcdhelp.com and everyone is giving it 10 out of 10!
    Didn't know about this website, it's really good...

I'll have to forget the whole thing.
    I read on a site that I'd have to have a 700 Mhz processor ( I presently only have 400 Mhz) and that I would need 14 GB of free hard disk space (I could manage that alright but I would have to re-format my HD which i don't want to do).
    There are actually a few U.K. sites that will copy VHS video to DVD but they are charging £25 to £35 sterling PER HOUR!
    I'll have to put a lid on the whole thing unless I inherit a small fortune from somewhere.
    Nevermind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Lukin, go here http://www.pless.co.uk/ .For £300 the amount you were spending you could get the dvd-r drive for £199 get a 40gb hard drive for £48 probably be able to pick up a cheap processor there as well tho didn't check and still have money to buy a few dvd-r discs at £1.25 a shot for the 2x speed or 99p i think for the single speed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

A faster processer, 20Gb Hard-disk, and a Cd-Rewriter would be all you need. That way, you could put the Videos on CD-R's in the form of VCD's, and play them on a bog-standard DVD Player. Check www.komplett.ie for gear.

It's much cheaper than buying a DVD-Rewriter, DVD-R's/RW's, etc. Alternatively, find a mate with a Cd-Rewriter, good machine, etc, and install a WinTV Capture Card (dirt cheap) in his Pc. Just plug your VCR into the WinTV card, capture your videos, and burn them as VCD's on some CD-R's. Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

if i was you i would wait about a year and the prices will fall dramaticaly you will be able to pick up a dvd-r burner for about €150.in the mean while you can just get a x32 cd burner off komplet.ie for €80

Magic Monkey, I am reluctant to go down the video CD route as I've heard that the picture quality can vary. It's certainly not up to the standard of DVD and probably won't last for as long either.

If I am to repalce my processor I will have to replace the motherboard as well as the one I have now will not be able to handle a faster one.
    I'll check out http://www.pless.co.uk/ and see what's there.
    Thanks to y'all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Apparently sony are bringing out a + & - DVD writer soon, and Ive heard that Pioneer are replacing the A04 with a faster version very soon. might be worth your while waiting a bit more.

Nothing really solid there :D but have a look round see if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I have a ao3 the previous burner to ao4.. NO difference..
    Well sum.
    Shorter Drive.. 2cm.s trimmed off
    Ball bearing is different so making it quieter..
    Burns at 2x as well as ao4..
    What else.. Ive loads of knowledge on this.. If u need any pm me..
    If u want an ao3 i can give u my on for 600 installed fully working on ure 700mhz with 13gig drive.. LEt me know...
    Software included and i,ll even give u a hat load of blanks..
    If u have got this already or need an ao4 or blanks i can get very cheap... Cheers App

• Advertisement

"Apparently sony are bringing out a + & - DVD writer soon, and Ive heard that Pioneer are replacing the A04 with a faster version very soon. might be worth your while waiting a bit more. "

In reply to this sony are a good "Make" if u have a wallet of an excutive working for Coca Cola..... but not for dvdr - drives..
    Ao8 is the next pioneer coming in september and my son.. it aint much faster.. same speed on reads faster..
    6x the ao3/4 read a dvd with the ao8 reads at 10..
    Other additions are shorter drive Again... and shaves 2 mins off of writing a dvdrw... Cool
    App Sorry to correct u..

Btw Pioneer Are the dogs bollox when it comes to dvdr- drives..
    Buy nothing else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Buying a DVD recorder from dixons or somewehere and hooking your video into that would probably be a lot more reliable than trying to do it through your PC. By the sounds of things, you'd practically need a new PC as it is to even think of doing video capture & burning so it'd probably work out no more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I'm waiting till they come as standard...

Buying a DVD recorder from dixons

I dont think would be viable m8. Cheapest ive seen is around 500 -600 sterling.
    Vcd quality can vary m8 was said above...
    ANyone ever seen svcd.. The Dogs bollox when it comes to quality. Also vcd is equal to or above vhs quality depending on what programs u use to rip it.. I can show examples...
    I know a bloke that has a vcd recorder and svcd recorder.. Can be urs for 600 euro.s.... ish..
    ALL he does is plug it in to tv records beautifully onto a vcd or svcd..
    But for that price dvdr is 4.7 gigs and equally and sometimes cheaper.. My 2 cents.. Appy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could just buy a consumer DVD-R like the DVD R880 from Phillips which retails at about £400.

Full spec sheet here:- http://www.srtl.co.uk/srtl/dvdr.html

Mike.

I know, ideally I'd prefer one that works straight off the T.V. like a video recorder but they're just too expensive.
    I mean £600 sterling is about €1000 for chrissakes!
    Pioneer are supposed to be unbeatable for compatibilty so I'll stick with them.

By the way, what's the difference between a vcd recorder and svcd recorder?

By the way, what's the difference between a vcd recorder and svcd recorder?

Vcd is basically vhs equal or sometimes slightly better depends who and how it was ripped..
    Svcd is brilliant quality and is near dvd quality. If anyone hear has seen divx its as good as that..

The recorder ive seen is both... i,ll get u a link for it maybe !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

for someone who claims to know so much about dvdr's you sure aint up on the prices. you'd pick up a brand new A04 for around €500, brand new, full warranty, or your A03 for €100 more.. uhhhhh... :rolleyes:

At least im trying to be helpful, not rip the chap off.

Alright Xithus, settle down, I can stand up for myself.
    I thought what The Apprentice (inappropriate name or what?)was asking for was a bit on the high side alright, even with a 13 GB HD thrown in.

mike65, I've seen that Phillips one, it's the cheapest one I've seen that works off a T.V. but it still works out at €660. Ouch...
    Also, it's DVD+R which is not the format "the experts" are predicting will win out in the end.
    I really need to upgrade my board anyway, so I think I'll give it a miss.

Advertisement