Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN upgrade to DSL package from Eircom ?

Options
  • 08-08-2002 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Called last week to order DSL. It's available in my area but (and here's the rub)

I must pay (something like €99) to have an analogue line put in to replace the existing "Hi-Speed" (ISDN....) line.
    Then they updgrade the PSTN analogue line to DSL (for which I also pay)...but they cannot guarantee it will work (i.e. the line test might fail).

Fortunately the chap I was speaking with was cool enough to tell me that if I waited a few weeks (until september) Eircom were launching a product aimed at people like me with ISDN who wanted to upgrade to DSL. [ doubt if he was spoofing because he was perfectly willing to put the order through there and then for me but reckoned I might be interested in hearing about that ].

So....anyone out there with further info ? any inside information ? Or shoud I just get back on the phone and order DSL now anyway ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Shabby - no new intel from me, but some companies in UK just launched such a product so it seems rather likely.

On another note, perthaps you should post these comments on the IrelandOffline forum - they'd be interested in this stuff I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircom were launching a product aimed at people like me with ISDN who wanted to upgrade to DSL.

Thats correct they will be launching a product that will test Hi speed lines for DSL in Sept I think its only €20 to downgrade if you have a Hi Speed (PSTN upgrade)Line but If you had a BRA (New ISDN Installation) installed it will €99.16 to downgrade to PSTN and then your Conx charge for the DSL .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by the Guru
    Thats correct they will be launching a product that will test Hi speed lines for DSL in Sept I think its only €20 to downgrade if you have a Hi Speed (PSTN upgrade)Line but If you had a BRA (New ISDN Installation) installed it will €99.16 to downgrade to PSTN and then your Conx charge for the DSL .
    Maybe someone with telco knowledge can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same work from a technical point of view to do both of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

a Hi Speed line is a PSTN upgrade and so there for when the line is checked and your successful for DSL the PSTN line was already there its easy to change back to PSTN .....some work is done in the exchange But when a BRA line is installed the was never a line there so a new PSTN line will have to be installed @ €107+vat
    please excuse my previous price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by the Guru
    a Hi Speed line is a PSTN upgrade and so there for when the line is checked and your successful for DSL the PSTN line was already there its easy to change back to PSTN .....some work is done in the exchange But when a BRA line is installed the was never a line there so a new PSTN line will have to be installed @ €107+vat
    please excuse my previous price.
    I'm not sure I understand this. Why can't ISDN be downgraded to PSTN in the same way that hi-speed is?

My current understanding (likely to be wrong :)) is that, apart from the installation at the user's premises, converting between ISDN and PSTN, involves moving the line from a digital port to an analogue port at the exchange. The same copper line can be used for both ISDN and PSTN.

Eircom may insist that you get a new PSTN line and decommission the ISDN line on the basis that the ISDN was never an upgrade from PSTN, but I'm unsure of the technical reason behind this.

In attempting to convert back to PSTN from ISDN (not hi-speed) you are charged for the physical installation of a new copper line when this is not really required.

I'm sure there are valid reasons for this apparent anomoly, but I'm not sure what they are.

Sorry if this seems a little off-topic but it relates to the issue of people with ISDN trying to get DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

granted that a line may fail its test when you downgrade, I think it would be safer to just get a new analog line in.

In these circumstances:

- you confirm you are within safe range of your exchange
    - they know you're going for DSL and don't split the new line
    - you give them your neighbours numbers to test & their lines pass

what other factors (excluding blatant incompetence) can cause your line to fail? afaik it would be cheaper & less nightmarish to get new line than downgrade, fail and be stuck on 56.

Is anyone here on the Shankill exchange and got i-stream or had their lines pass? Where abouts do you live/how far from? I'm in Cabinteely = too far :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Like in other countries in Europe such as Spain or Germany. With it you don't need to downgrade or such .. just order it and they'll install it over you ISDN so .. you can keep it the same way it was before.

Cya,

JamworkS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why can't ISDN be downgraded to PSTN in the same way that hi-speed is?

Hi-speed is isdn :)
    Basicially if your line was upgraded to isdn from pstn in the first place, it can be downgraded back to pstn for about €20 and then tested for dsl.

For those that got brand new isdn line installed they would have to get new pstn line installed, then test it for dsl. If it fails, tough :D

ie...it's like friggin Russian Roulette playing with your money, only expect that from eircoN, elsewhere in europe dsl can be run on isdn.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

This is how it should be done, from the reg:
    Sheffield-based ISP PlusNet claims ISDN users are still under the impression that they have to pay through the nose to upgrade to broadband.

Earlier this year BT introduced a scheme that enabled ISDN users to upgrade to ADSL for less than £30.

If for any technical reason the conversion fails, BT will convert the line back to the original ISDN service at no cost to the end user.

Punters are charged £27.99 (inc VAT) only after they've successfully moved to ADSL from ISDN.
    Even the incumbent operator accross the water isn't trying to rip people off anymore, instead it's competing for customers fairly.
    But of course, we have eircom, so they're still milking as much money out of us as they can.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually - here's a question for yis.

In our house we have an inactive (ie cut off) ISDN line, the terminal adapter is still stuck to the wall. Eventually I will get a PSTN line, but will eircom charge me reconnection + downgrade charges? If they do, wouldn't it be a tad hypocritical - ie I could force them to install a brand new line for just the €130.

As well - I assumed there's no difference between downgrading any ISDN line (new or former PSTN). After all, the lines are physically identical, just connected to a different port in the exchange........so there's no need to install a brand new line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement