Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat-BT Flatrate?

Options
  • 09-08-2002 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Whatever happened to those rumours of Esat's flat rate (Or even the 90hr/month) product services that were to be launched in September?

All gone quiet?

It's amazing how the UK was the laughing stock of europe and how, despite how everyone hates BT, they have done a great job in getting the average person onto the broadband bandwagon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

i just rang them earlier in the day and i was told that they are currently in talks with the OTDR about such a scheme but they could not give me any more details.so we will have to hang on for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

well, at least esat seem to be trying to gives us internet access unlike those eircom cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Person in technical support (side note the areas where Eircom are adding digits to numbers lost iol gold during working hours bah!!) said a new product is due very soon but won't say what. When asked further repeated that Bill Murphy is determined to bring in flat rate 24/7 for€30 like he said in the post. And soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

sound good (better- getting better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Any other updates on this?

• Advertisement

Different tech help person, not as nice as the first one told me yesterday (more node trouble, if it were organic it would have died from lymphoma years ago) new products end of next month. I hope for earlier but then I would. When asked about 24/7, told no details can be given at all until an announcement is made that the companies have reached an agreement, but 24/7 should become available, esat certainly intend to provide it, but perhaps not immediately, more likely to be off peak only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I don't care if its offpeak only - if its flat rate I'm buying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

and supports isdn ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by vampyre
    .....new products end of next month.

First it was "by the end of the summer", i.e. end of August. Now it's "end of next month." And then it'll be "end of October", then "end of November", then "don't worry folks, ye'll have it by Christmas", then "Happy New Year, folks. We promise ye'll have it by the end of the month", etc., etc.

Okay, I know Esat are trying and fair dues to them for that but they're starting to pi$$ me off now sounding like Chorus at this stage. Either give us a definite date or say "Sorry, we don't know when but we are working on it", rather than keep getting our hopes up only to be disappointed again from month to month.
    Originally posted by vampyre
    no details can be given at all until an announcement is made that the companies have reached an agreement.....

And, knowing Eircom, an agreement is a long, long, loooong way off.

Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Either give us a definite date or say "Sorry, we don't know when but we are working on it", rather than keep getting our hopes up only to be disappointed again from month to month.
    uhm Aidan, that's what they are saying :) The rest of this thread is just rumours, not Esat statements.

Well Esat are contradicting themselves then. They say "new products at the end of next month" and then say they can't announce anything until an agreement has been reached. See my point? Do they themselves even know what the hell is going on, I wonder?

And that post wasn't a rumour because vampyre said it came from an Esat customer support rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Well Esat are contradicting themselves then. They say "new products at the end of next month" and then say they can't announce anything until an agreement has been reached. See my point? Do they themselves even know what the hell is going on, I wonder?

And that post wasn't a rumour because vampyre said it came from an Esat customer support rep.

To be realistic Aiden, customer support reps. aren't exactly very high up the proverbial "food-chain" so to speak when it comes to up-coming releases, so I would take everything that they say as regards such topics with a little pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dishing them or anything but more often than not they themselves are going on hear-say which, needless to say, can be wildly inaccurate.

Well, that's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Christ, theres about 5 threads suffering from this 'belief' disease at the moment.

Pleas read these simple guidelines

1. Anything that is not an OFFICIAL press release is what we like to call in the business UNOFFICAL

2. Do not take anything that is not official (see above) as the gods honest, 100%, absolute truth.

3. No matter who told you.

4. If the unofficial offer/product/service/mail order bride fails to materialise, try not to reply with 'Typical, crooks the lot of them'.

When i read the above thread i see this :

Its likely that some people in esat are looking at the possibility of developing a flat rate product. For obvious reasons, they cannot do this at the moment, but it seems likely that they are investigating avenues of approach. They cannot give an official date, because there ISNT an official date.

Or, if thats too long, dont hold your breath.

Originally posted by Lemming
    .....but more often than not they themselves are going on hear-say which, needless to say, can be wildly inaccurate.

Well if that's the case they shouldn't be telling customers these things. Just because Tom heard from Gerry who heard from Mary who heard from Sean that Esat are looking to launch a flat-rate service doesn't mean they should be passing it on to their customers. They should only be giving out accurate, official information that comes from on high, not rumours whispered in the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...And that post wasn't a rumour because vampyre said it came from an Esat customer support rep.

Everything is a rumour (and should be treated as such) until it is officially announced by a company.

Mike

Fair enough, I'll remember that in future. If one of the heads of Eircom releases a press release saying they're going to offer flat-rate in the morning I'm not going to believe it unless Philip Nolan or Tony O' Reilly themselves climb up onto the top of the GPO and shout it out across the city. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by aidan_dunne Fair enough, I'll remember that in future. If one of the heads of Eircom releases a press release saying they're going to offer flat-rate in the morning I'm not going to believe it unless Philip Nolan or Tony O' Reilly themselves climb up onto the top of the GPO and shout it out across the city. :D
    I still wouldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

infact i'd be less likely to believe it.
    I wont believe it till the first few people have gotten it installed/access and my order has been confirmed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I still wouldn't believe it

LOL. They call you SkepticOne for a reason...

• Advertisement

Tech support are indeed v low in the food chain but they know when the engineers etc. are working on the system to configure it for new products. Customer care or sales who are supposed to know, forget it. One of the sales people doesn't seem to know who Bill Murphy is far less that he went public with flat rate for €30 angle. After the inital release of off peak only it was planned to introduce other packages that would include a peak time content but I think since Bill Murphy has said he wants the full service the implication is that the block time idea has been abandoned.
    OT- have switched to office xp after aeons of lotus, having a tiny problem with word documents that I am sure is blindingly obvious to fix, it's just I am in panic mode. Any volunteers to help a blood drinker please contact me at vampyre@iol.ie. Yes I know I should post this elsewhere but it's early and I am tired.

Advertisement