Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quiet CPU fan

• 09-08-2002 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Well,
    After putting together my new system a month or so ago, I've finally given in. I was hoping to leave it on full time (to play mp3's from it) but it's too damn noisy. The main culprit is the CPU fan. I figured this out by a highly scientific process of putting my finger on the various fans and seeing which one contributed most to the noise.

So what I'm looking for is a quiet fan for a 1 GHz Duron. Any recommendations? Where to buy , Komplett /OCUK etc? Going to get another HD while I'm at it. (that mp3 collection is coming along nicely)

BTW Can the fan in the PSU be replaced? It the next noisest fan in the box.

Diarmuid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Usually most CoolerMaster fans are very quiet anyway, so dunno whats wrong there.

As for the PSU fan, I tried to replace one there a while back, there aren't any connectors in it for attachting the new one/dettaching the old one obviously, so I just cut the wires and twisted them together - pretty dodgy, needless to say it didn't work, so its up to yourself to try it. Or just buy a new PSU :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

Actually
    I bought a coolermaster fan/heatsink for xp1600+
    from komplett. and in my system cpu fan is makeing the most noise
    Well the noise does not bother me, but people tell me that I am just not use to quite pc's, and once I get use to it I will wonder how I ever did with out it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have 4 fans running in my chieftec PC: CPU fan, GPU fan, PSU fan and one on the mobo. Im still looking to get another. I have a coolermaster fan on mi CPU and its the quietist fan there is. I can only hear my pc if i open it up for put my ear up to it :D

Although the noisy thing is the 15 year old monitor :rolleyes:

You can get the coolermaster fans in Maplin....ill be in there soon to get a few case fans.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Coolermaster fans Quiet ( LOL ) when i was upgrading my computer i got a coolermaster DP5-6I31C Fan in itdirect for E15 for a 1.3 athalon and it was hella noisy. i wanted to overclock the processor so i went to maplin and splashed out in a HHC-001 Heat Pipe HSF ( E80 ) christ is it loud. must be about 40 Db it sounds like a jet taking off. although me cpu temp is 36-39 degrees @ idle and about 45 under a load. But im gonna buy a Zalman Flower Cooler in maplin ( E60 ) whitch are suppost to be totally silent and run pretty cool aswell.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps6500b-cu.htm

their are two different types 1.all copper 2.aluminum some copper both are available in maplin. MAKE SURE U CHECK THE DIMENSIONS OF THE AREA AROUND YOUR PROCESSOR FOR SPACE to accomidate the flower array all the mesurements are @ that link.

Good Luck Combatcow >:^)

Ps. the flower cooler might b overkill for a 1ghz duron so u can get 3 pin power cable that reduce the voltage from 12v to 10v and are only E3.55 ( maplin ) + u can connect 2 together.that might b a cheaper solution and their pretty good.their made by ( cant rember ) their in a yellow pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The coolermaster case fans in itdirect come with a thermistor which you can attach to the heatsink. This thermistor varies the voltage and hence the speed of the fan depending on temperature. This is the same price as a standard fan in maplin.

I would say that itdirect have a good range of coolermaster gear in general, and its usually a good bit cheaper than maplin too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement