Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winamp3

Options
  • 09-08-2002 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Finally after the many Alphas and Betas....most of which i have used Winamp3 has been launched!

www.winamp.com
    WHAT'S NEW?
    FREEFORM
    SKINS
    PLAY
    VIDEOS
    MANAGE
    PLAYLISTS
    ADVANCED
    COMPONENTS
    ALONG WITH
    ALL OUR OLD TRICKS
    MP3 AUDIO SUPPORT
    SHOUTCAST RADIO SUPPORT
    WINAMP VISUALIZATION STUDIO
    WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO SUPPORT

Pity its a 3mb download though.....all updates seem to get bigger :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Downloaded the Release Candidate a few weeks ago and it was still very buggy.

How stable is the final release, do you think ??

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I had a couple of beta`s, the new skinning system sorta takes away from the fact the winamp is small, sits in tray nicely. That said some of the new skins are cool.

The new playlist editor is top class, also annoyingly it attempts to play avi,mpegs and other file types.

Watch what you click when you install it.

Its pretty cool, takes a while to get used to after using winamp 2.XX

Why this is posted in after hours i`m not sure,

Possible boards >>> tech, music/radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by bazH

Why this is posted in after hours i`m not sure,

Possible boards >>> tech, music/radio etc.

I wasent too sure where something like Winamp would go? I first though of Music then Technology but really...where can it go :confused:

Anywho....i found it a lot less buggy then the old beta versions that i downloaded. The video thing is pritty cool... removes the need for that cpu hungry WMP... damn microsoft.

They also removed a load of things from the Thinger bar that were in the Alphas and early betas.... Though they have made it a bit for Ram hungry :(

where can it go ....

hehe seems like if you don`t know where to post it, throw it up in the For Sale boards :p

It is more RAM hungry which is one of the things i don`t like about it. That and the re-registering file types.

Overall it is less buggy, its quite cool looking as well.

Worth the download(pfft only 3 meg ;) )

I use Power DVD to play all my videos/pRon/divX/DvD`s etc., so i`ll stick to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

This is an awful odd place to find this thread!

And Dave girl: your right....

Winamp 2.x was really looking dated...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dave girl?

:)

I have winamp3 on me comp, but have yhet to install it. will do so presently :)

Ah I see....

Must improve speed reading....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Gerry

I like the multiple playlists, a way,way overdue feature. I was sick to death of lumping all my mp3's into one playlist, especially when its not very efficient at handling large lists. Also that file organizer looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dislike it intensely, old skins arent working, old plug-ins arent working, the new skins are the same that have been available for sonique for two years.

It's like icq from 99 to 2001, from a useful tool, to a bloated pos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

2.80 serv es my needs at the moment, once I get mysefl organised with proper playlists and stuff :)

I've tried 3 and I didn't like it.

I'm running a 450mhz PC and its a little sluggish...which is a bit of a pain in the árse.

It has some nice features though, the playlist one being the best....

However it dosen't save any changes in the colour themes which I find deeply annoying.

Might be going back to 2.x soon, though I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Doesnt seem to have a setting that auto loads the IDs (in the same manner as 2.x) - grr.
    Seems a little dodgy too - for instance taking 5-10 seconds occasionally to load menus (?). I'm running win 2k, 700mhz with 384 megs ram.

Probably will use it when they fix the glitches....

I wonder if the Lite version will be any faster (when its released). It won't have any of the bloated extras like the visualisation studio and WMA support........

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm of two minds on it.

It's got some good stuff like the multiple playlists and what not

BUT

- old skins don't work well.
    - some fo the shortcuts aren't present (like volume control etc)
    - some of the preferences for altering the likes of the olliscope and what-not are gone too. I like my "thin 'fire' lines"
    - it DOES seem to be rather memory hungry

[edit]: Ahh .... I'm back on version 2.80 - Bliss!! I have my half-life skin back, my thin "fire" lines spectral analyser, and my wincue plugin (for my minidisc player).

Buh byeee winamp 3 (for now anyway)
    [/edit]

Yikes....

2 problems.

1. You can't enqueue directories (i.e. right click on a folder, and "Enqueue in Winamp". You could in Winamp 2.
    2. I just tried enqueueing 17 files, and got the following message:

"Choosing to 'Enqueue In Winamp' 17 items at once may take a long time and cause your computer to respond slowly. Do you want to continue?"

Thats just 17 individual MP3s, FFS.

I could enqueue whole directory structures in Winamp 2.x and it would only take a couple of seconds.

Now where's that uninstall button........

- Dave.

I'm def. going back to to 2.8....3 is getting on my tits....

Originally posted by Lemming
    ... and my wincue plugin (for my minidisc player).
    Wots dat ??

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I could never play wma files with 2.80 now it's not an issue. Not sure why but I'm not complaining.

Originally posted by Celt
    Dislike it intensely, old skins arent working, old plug-ins arent working

What an odd thing to say :confused:

My Windows 95 desktop themes won`t work in XP as well.

Originally posted by thegills
    I could never play wma files with 2.80 now it's not an issue. Not sure why but I'm not complaining.
    There are 3 versions of Winamp 2.x (Lite, Normal and Full, I think). Only the 'Full' version plays WMA files. Check the winamp 2 download page for more info.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i d/l it on Saturday, installed it today but my PC at home doesn't like it too much. it's too slow for Winamp 3 :( but i'll give it a go on the much faster PC i use during the day time tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

TmB. I had the full version of 2.80 but there was something wrong with my PC I think. When I tried installing any app to do with MP3, WMA, coding or decoding it wouldn't work, I kept getting errors during set-up. WinAmp 3 is the first App in ages that sets up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

There was an option in 2.78 that allowed the program to load all the filenames onto winamp when they were added to the playlist. I can't seem to find that option now :( Say you want to add a few hundred tunes to the playlist, you have to scroll down through them all to get their names to be displayed properly... I think anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

What an odd thing to say :confused:

My Windows 95 desktop themes won`t work in XP as well.
    How is it odd?
    They dont.

(Why would anyone use desktop themes?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

I had a couple of beta`s, the new skinning system sorta takes away from the fact the winamp is small, sits in tray nicely. That said some of the new skins are cool.

The new playlist editor is top class, also annoyingly it attempts to play avi,mpegs and other file types.

Watch what you click when you install it.

These file types can be also disassociated with WA3 by going to preferences (CTRL-P) -> system -> media and deselecting the file types in the list. Also make sure that "Regiester Types on Winamp Start" is checked.
    Originally posted by Winters
    They also removed a load of things from the Thinger bar that were in the Alphas and early betas.... Though they have made it a bit for Ram hungry

Bear in mind that 1) WA3 has a completely different structure to WA2, and as such is still under major development - the code still hasn't been optimised. And 2) the only reason it has been released so early is due to bitching and whining on the WA forums.
    Originally posted by Celt
    Dislike it intensely, old skins arent working, old plug-ins arent working, the new skins are the same that have been available for sonique for two years.

Taken from the WA3 FAQ:

Will my old Winamp 2.x plug-ins still work?

Sadly, there is no native support for Winamp 2.x plug-ins at this time. Though there is a Winamp 2 Plug-in Manager component out there that you might want to try.

Most skins *should* work though..... although admittedly this may be an overstatement.

Originally posted by Lemming
    - old skins don't work well.
    Agreed.
    - some fo the shortcuts aren't present (like volume control etc)
    Yes they are.
    *** Main Window Keyboard Shortcuts ***
    	Key			Action
    	------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(options/toggles)
    	R		  Toggle Repeat
    	S		  Toggle Shuffle
    	F		  Toggle Crossfade
    	Alt+3		  Current file info box/ID3 editor

(playback controls)
    	X		  Play/Restart/Unpause
    	V		  Stop
    	C		  Pause/Unpause
    	B		  Next Track
    	Z		  Previous Track
    	Left Arrow	  Rewind 5 seconds
    	Right Arrow	  Fast-forward 5 seconds

L		  Open/Play File
    	Ctrl+L		  Open/Play location
    	Shift+L		  Open/Play Directory
    	Up Arrow		  Turn Volume Up
    	Down Arrow 	  Turn Volume Down

Originally posted by TmB
    2 problems.

1. You can't enqueue directories (i.e. right click on a folder, and "Enqueue in Winamp". You could in Winamp 2.
    2. I just tried enqueueing 17 files, and got the following message:

"Choosing to 'Enqueue In Winamp' 17 items at once may take a long time and cause your computer to respond slowly. Do you want to continue?"

1. Indeed - the right-click menus haven't been enabled properly yet.
    2. It's just a warning. I added 1900+ mp3s to my playlist just now - took about two seconds.

Originally posted by Fidelis
    There was an option in 2.78 that allowed the program to load all the filenames onto winamp when they were added to the playlist. I can't seem to find that option now Say you want to add a few hundred tunes to the playlist, you have to scroll down through them all to get their names to be displayed properly... I think anyways.

Indeed. Winamp 2.x gives the user the option of loading the titles from the ID3 tags when the files are loaded, when displayed in the playlist, or when played. The latter two options are for slower computers which may take some time to load all of the ID3 tags in a large playlist at once.

At the moment WA3 loads the titles on display, meaning that the ID3 tag info is displayed as the playlist is scrolled through. This will be changed to the WA2 setup in future releases.

Hope this information helps some. For more info, go to the Winamp3 Technical Support forum.

regards,
    ~Mercury

(a.k.a. ethan_h, Winamp forums moderator)

Thanks for the info, Mercury...... your comments are encouraging.
    I'll wait another couple of releases, and try it again!

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i tried it today and thought it was great. it's a shame that this computer i'm on now isn't powerful enough :mad: i see me upgrading my PC in the near future

Advertisement