Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Squad v Finland

• 09-08-2002 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Squad:

full story

Shay Given (Newcastle United), Dean Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Nick Colgan (Hibernian),

Ian Harte (Leeds United), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Gary Breen (West Ham United), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United), Gary Kelly (Leeds United), Kenny Cunningham (Birmingham City), Steve Finnan (Fulham), Stephen Carr (Tottenham Hotspur),

Jason McAteer (Sunderland), Matt Holland (Ipswich Town), Kevin Kilbane (Sunderland), Steven Reid (Millwall), Colin Healy (Celtic), Mark Kinsella (Charlton Athletic), Lee Carlsey (Everton), Rory Delap (Southampton),

Robbie Keane (Leeds United), Clinton Morrison (Birmingham City), Damien Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen McPhail (Leeds United), Richard Sadlier (Millwall), Gary Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good squad, bar Stephen McPhail (Leeds United) - shows how little options we have when we have to pick him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

But where is Super Sub David Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Mark my words. Colin Healy is going to be the next _Big_ Irish midfielder. Am delighted to see him included in the squad I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Think everybody who saw Colin Healy play in those friendlies reckoned he had a lot of potential - except McCarthy of course, least we had Lee Carsley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

It's going to be an interesting friendly for sure. By my reckoning Gary Kelly and McAteer are the only members left from the Charlton era so I'll be looking out for who the next 'leaders' of the Irish team will be. Breen and Cunningham still don't convince me as on field leaders so I hope they'll prove me wrong over the coming months.

All I've got to say is that I don't fancy our chances in Moscow when the real competition begins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    good squad, bar Stephen McPhail (Leeds United) - shows how little options we have when we have to pick him :(

Hes a talented player, he just hasnt had the chance to prove that at Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

where is Super Sub David Connolly

hes injured.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

unfortunate as he was a shoe in for captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Second what the man of Rubber _Skin said Mc Phail is a good player, have seen him play in a few games and apparently he's making his mark in the Reserves League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Originally posted by Stinkah
    Mark my words. Colin Healy is going to be the next _Big_ Irish midfielder. Am delighted to see him included in the squad I must say.

Wish I could believe that!
    He still cant break the Celtic first eleven apart from friendlies
    Hes highly regarded, but though not to have the bottle yet(if ever) to be a commanding figure in the middle of the park.
    So if hes gonna be a real talent its gonna take another few years or a different club that will give him time in the first team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Anyone ever heard of a lad called John O Shea. He has got to be a better choice then Richard Dunne, especially for a freindly to get him used to the set up.

Originally posted by Waylander
    Anyone ever heard of a lad called John O Shea. He has got to be a better choice then Richard Dunne, especially for a freindly to get him used to the set up.

O'Shea - correct me if im wrong, played against croatia in a friendly ages ago, and after coming on for Ireland for his debut give away a penalty...... :o

I think we should give him a couple of years.....

You are talking of dropping him for several years because he made one mistake? Are you mad? We would not have any defenders if we adopted that attitude with them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Joh O Shea should defo be in the squad he's starting to break in the man Utd team this year and more international apperances especially in friendlies would do him no harm at all.

You are talking of dropping him for several years because he made one mistake? Are you mad? We would not have any defenders if we adopted that attitude with them all.

No... not because he made a mistake... he hasn't played enough games for Man United at the minute, maybe if he played more matches maybe then… I don’t want Ireland playing reserve players like Northern Ireland, Wales etc.

I want an Ireland team that has first team players playing week in week out …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lads! Calm Down, due to Man Utds defender crisis O'Shea has been withdrawn from the Under 21 squad so he can help with baling out in the Premiership and the CL qualifier!

Mike

He palyed a good few times for united at the end of last seaon, and will feature alot this season. The Finland game is only a freindly so I think it would have been an ideal time to introduce him to the set up. Considering the central defenders we have I think it is daft leaving him out.

Stephen Carr (hamstring)
    Richard Dunne (back injury)
    Andy O'Brien (shin splints in both legs)
    Steve Finnan (ankle)
    Steven Reid (ankle)
    Clinton Morrison (groin)
    Richard Sadlier (hip)

Pure mental.... what does Mick call up now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/8E0C63FF-F7BB-4164-8A09-D9E2C09A1034.htm

Guess Who's back!?

Back Again!

Babb is Back! Babb is Back!

:D:D:D

And Jason Mcateer is to be the Irish Captain against Finland on Wednesday. On his 50th cap and all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

And Jason Mcateer is to be the Irish Captain against Finland on Wednesday. On his 50th cap and all.

Possibly his last too from what I understand, he just wanted to get the 50 I think...it's a pity, I think he's a good player with a lot of experience which is what we need right now.

I don't know about everyone else but the goal against Holland was one of the best moments of the whole World Cup campaign (of course watching it on a big screen in Slane with 80,000 people may have influenced my judgement :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Michael Collins

Possibly his last too from what I understand, he just wanted to get the 50 I think...it's a pity, I think he's a good player with a lot of experience which is what we need right now.

I don't know about everyone else but the goal against Holland was one of the best moments of the whole World Cup campaign

Bloody right. He isn't international class but he's definetly good enough to warrant a place in our squad.

Advertisement