Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvd to a second tv

• 09-08-2002 11:00pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can somebody please help me? I dont know if this can be done or not but here it goes...

I have my DVD player connected to my main TV by means of a scart to scart. Now what I am looking to do is to send the picture to a second tv allowing the dvd to be viewed from another room. So i think what i want to do is to create an RF signal or something like that. I understand about the quality aspect which you get by using scart but i dont mind losing that for the rare occasion that i will have the need to use the second TV for viewing dvds. It is mainly for the child to watch his dvds in his room.

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Splitting the cable, will in-effect half the signal to easch tv...... which would be fine, if both tv's are near to the dvd player.... how every if the second tv is in the bedroom for example, then the audio/visual sync maybe be lost, and quality maybe be reduced. Your best bet might be to buy a DA (Distribution Amplifier) which would mean their would be no lose or sync and/or quality.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Can you buy a scart splitter. I have seen 1 to 4 splitters in B&Q. You might even find one with an Amp built-in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

For the loss in quality you'd get splitting the signal, converting to RF and moving over a long distance (not to mention the aggro.) you might be just as well buying a cheapo DVD player.

I'm fairly certain Argos a selling a naff Alba one for 120 Euro (new), but for that price your son can be watching Toy Story happily whilst you watch much crisper DVD on your own player.

Just a thought.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Don't most DVD players have more than one video-out?

i.e. mine has Scart and SVideo..
    Couldn't you simply keep the Scart connected to your original TV, and use the SVideo out to connect to your other TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

theres no real need to split any cables... your dvd player probably has at least 3 video outputs anyway.

so you can use the composite video out (the vellow connection on the back of the dvd player) along with the stereo left/right..
    you'll probably need a scart connection for the above unless your dvd player came with one... then get a scart extension cable and run this to the other room/tv.

tbh though i'd be inclined to either just move the dvd player if watching dvds is a rarity anyway in one of the two rooms or just buy a new player or some IR/radio video transmitter (i think theres one or two available for this purpose).

also make sure your dvd player isn't outputting s-video to your main tv as then the picture on the second tv (using composite video) will be black.

• Advertisement
Advertisement