Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Hard drive - problem

• 10-08-2002 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I've just installed a Maxtor 80GB hard drive. I have an older Maxtor (20GB) which has my op system (Win98). The 20GB is set as master and the 80GB is set as slave.

Problem is when I copy data from the 20GB drive to the 80GB drive the pc freezes every 5 secs or and the continues. The data is copied but I keep getting these freezes.

However if I copy from 20GB
    > 80GB there is no problem ?

Can anyone help... please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭lukin

This might be a stupid question but here goes:
    Have you got a different OS on the new drive?
    (I assume you haven't)
    If you have a lot of stuff on the 20 GB that could be the problem
    I had a similar situation to yours on Win98 but it was fine when I upgraded to 2000.
    Maybe that's what you should do.
    Hope this was of some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Have you tried the obvious defragging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Defragging should probably help....

Had the same problem with my original 6gb Maxtor drive when I installed another 60 gb Maxtor drive.

Defragging made all the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Will try defragging overnight. No other op system on the 80GB HD. Only Mp3's ect. I wonder is there any possibilty it could be the IDE cable I'm using ? Ive noticed there is a slight freeze every 2 secs or so when transfering from CD-rom to 80GB drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

are u using a 80 pin cable or standard 40pin, what udma modes are your drives(ata)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

both drives are Ata 100. I'm not sure which cable I'm using...
    Which should I be using ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

are the drives the same spin speed eg 5400 or 7200

are they cable select jumpered or specific master slave, i have found cable select to be a bit of a prob when, say, ghosting a drive and would rather master slave jumber them now.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

any chance they're running in PIO mode?

40-pin cables are sound for UDMA33, though 66/100 needs the 80 wire ones.
    For cable select to work you need special cables.
    Try putting them on different channels, Ie 20gig on master primary and 80gig on master secondary, see how that works.

Advertisement