Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that Ntl are being bought out?

Options
  • 10-08-2002 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

The kid brother is going out with one of the staff from Ntl and came home the other night talking about them being bought out or maybe a merger.I have asked him to get some concrete info but has anyone else heard anything....:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

well any other arrangement would be fine by me cause at the mo, ntl are doing f*ck all with the dublin network and it looks likely that they'll do f*ck all in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No , they are not being bought out. 1) who would buy them? 2) Why would you buy them? 3) They paid way too much for Cablelink ( £535m !! ) therefore would make massive loss on the sale.... even if someone did buy them, all telcos are so f***ed they wouldnt have the money to do anything decent with the network anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Telewest will have bought out NTL within three to five years. It's not a short-term thing though, they have their own debt difficulties to deal with first. Already the two companies are acting as one in a lot of respects though - shared ad campaigns etc - and it's well-accepted within them that they'll be the same company in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I was heavily relying on NTL to come foward with their cable service because simply I knew €ircom wouldn't do much if anything at all about DSL, which I still cant get in central Dublin three months after launch for extortionate prices.
    Unfortunately yet again I was let down and as a result am still in the breakdown lane on the superhighway while my Yankee and European (and some third world countries) cousins pass me by.
    Often I wonder if the backward Irish stereotype is more accurate than some would like to admit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm happy enough with my Cable :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I'd give my right arm for Cable at €35.00 pm at 512k ( or summit like that ? ) - move to Navan and experience the joy of Chorus!! :)

Dont know about the Telewest Buyout Shinji - Telewest and Liberty Media and their woes etc.....ntl will be a much stronger company than Telewest once the recapitisation completes next month - I would imagine a merger is on the cards, but as you say , not in the short term....only crystal ball gazing though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

its actualy 40pm if you choose to rent the modem off them..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OJ, just stop talking. The more you talk, the worse you're making it :D

Personally I don't think *any* mergers/demergers/buyouts in our telecommunications sector will make a difference in the current financial climate........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Hannibal_12
    Often I wonder if the backward Irish stereotype is more accurate than some would like to admit.

*Sigh* It is. Pass the potatoes mate...

Advertisement