Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warcraft III - Human level 5 on Hard

Options
  • 10-08-2002 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Doods,

Have only come back from 2 weeks in cuba and am just getting into Warcraft 3. I've decided to finish single player before getting going on battlenet so I have a fair idea of all the races capabilities.

This mission is driving me bonkers however. Has anyone got a strat to beat it on hard??? its the level where you just have to survive for 30 minutes and wave after wave of undead keep coming at you. Ive tried all sorts of different strats eg, tower defenses & mortars, building up lots of melee fighters etc etc using the goblin merchant in the north east of the base, but all to no avail. As for the optional quest, surely it is impossible?? Searching the net for answers has yielded only the suggestion that you get a peon to create a farm somewhere miels away on the map, and you dont apparently die until this is gone.

However, I h8 resorting to these type of tactics. I would prefer to try and beat it "properly".

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Same tactic you can use in just about any rts for stupid "survival" missions. Use 4-5 peons to start building towers, always build a farm in front of the towers, leave only one route in or out of your base and pretty much turtle yourself in with 2 to 3 lines of towers with a line of farms outside (the farms force the undead to attack them first and they'll be murdered by the towers. Assign 1 peon to each...say 6 towers so that repairs can be made while you're being attacked.

If that doesn't work, you suck.... as for the optional quest, with enough towers you can basically forget about the base, build a little army and go walkabout with your hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stonecold

sorry bout this as it is entirely ot but i was just wondering how you got on in cuba?

am going there in october and havent heard much about (girlfriend booked it) so if you have any helpful pointers it would be much appreciated esp with regard to accomodation and the like ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by bugs
    Same tactic you can use in just about any rts for stupid "survival" missions. Use 4-5 peons to start building towers, always build a farm in front of the towers, leave only one route in or out of your base and pretty much turtle yourself in with 2 to 3 lines of towers with a line of farms outside (the farms force the undead to attack them first and they'll be murdered by the towers. Assign 1 peon to each...say 6 towers so that repairs can be made while you're being attacked.

If that doesn't work, you suck.... as for the optional quest, with enough towers you can basically forget about the base, build a little army and go walkabout with your hero.

have you ever actually played this game ?
    Towers are expensive in this game..just build troops and i actually attacked my attackers to get into their base and that slowed them down..just let them come with a first wave and then retaliate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

With any RTS static defences are rarely if ever worth it- your best bet is several attack groups + upgrading your building strength. 2 small groups + a full holding force worked well for me on this mission- hotkey each of the small groups to 2 & 3 respectively, and put your main holding force (footmen, knights, 2 clerics & your hero) in the middle of the base. As soon as a threat appears, rush your holding force to where it is. It's *vital* that you have at least 1 cleric + 1 sorceress with each small group, they'll buy you the time to move your holding force to where the trouble is. For the rest of it, just upgrade masonry, full armor followed by wpns upgrades and sit tight, this mission's pretty easy after that. Use knights in your holding force with alt+move to take the front line and tank for you, use your hero to heal them- for the last 1 minute or so, call to arms all your peasants to help fight as militia if things get desperate.

Occy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Wook

have you ever actually played this game ?
    Hmm, well I have. I've played it to the end, and I used that tactic on this map. It works just fine. Although I backed it up with hotkeyed roaming support groups.
    The towers dont cost very much when you consider how much they cost the enemy in dead troups.
    quozl

• Advertisement

Considering that the game really punishes you for the use of too many troops, its makes alot more sense to just have a small 40 food unit troop and use the rest of the money to build defenses.
    The AI isn't up to much in the single player missions, i don't think i could be bothered straining myself doing much more, coupla towers, men to repair them equals bugger all money loss and less effort.

Have to say, this game isn't difficult, pretty much any strat will work, just depends what you can be bothered doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    With any RTS static defences are rarely if ever worth it-

I can think of a few games that defending with towers is much better than troop, AoE2 and TA spring to mind very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Considering that the game really punishes you for the use of too many troops, its makes alot more sense to just have a small 40 food unit troop and use the rest of the money to build defenses.

Tower's dont contribute towards upkeep.

Most RTS games require the use or towers of some kind to win.

Starcraft punishes the use/over-use of defensive buildings. Plus the units are far better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

as far as i can remember 2 of the entrances are fairly close and you can defend both with one large set of towers in between both... with a few men at each to stop siege, and the other entrance you can have the rest of your army

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Starcraft punishes the use/over-use of defensive buildings. Plus the units are far better at it.

Not quite true, a few terran bunkers with 3 troops and a firebat in each is damn effective defence, then back them up with about 5 seige tanks and your done, the bunkers are brilliant for terrans!

However for protoss,their turrets suck, use units for them :)

Thats all well and good, but the money and time you wasted building said structures means someone else will probably build more troops....or in korean terms, you build a bunker, you die miserably, looking like a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

actually guys between posting the first message above and receiving bugs reply, I actually did manage to complete the primary objective using his suggested strategy. I didnt get the optional one though and frankly cant be arsed playing that level again just to do so.

Now its mission 6, another wonderful mission :-)

To the geezer enquiring about cuba some brief views.

...best holiday we ever had
    ...accomodation dpeends on where you are staying
    ...we stayed in varadero & tbh, you could have been anywhere in the world
    ...hotel was fabulous - all inclusive food & drink & wtaresports
    ...climate excellent although you are going in hurricane season
    ...some excellent scubadiving out there - did some shipwrecks & fed 10 ft long moray eels
    ...havana is very interesting if you like history & suchlike - do not miss the cabaret at club tropicana!!!

Drop me an email if you want to know more

Q

Advertisement