Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go on a big snowboarding trip?

Options
  • 10-08-2002 12:40pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of organising a big boarding trip of mates from here (note how skillfully I am avoiding saying this is a Boards.ie official event. You cant sue us if you break your neck :) )

I'm talking about a week in March (when the snow is relatively certain). Livigno is the best spot for beginner and intermediate boarders. Even advanced boarders can find a lot of fun stuff there, including some nice off-piste stuff, not far from the main thoroughfare.

What I'm trying to get an idea of is how many people would be interested in going.

I know Otto von Bismark, Rogue Dotc, Shador, Coyote, DeV would be up for it as we went last year and we're all mad to go again :)

I'll organise the trip and all that, I just need to know vague interest levels.

You are talking about about 650 yoyos before food and drink (which is pretty cheap in Livigno). Thats including board and school but not including clothing (which you *have* to buy, add another 150 yoyos tops, though most people can beg borrow or steal them).

10 is really a minimum whereas 30 is really a maximum (that my stress levels can withstand).

Would people be interested? Dont say yes until you seriously consider it.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

My hands up, id love to go.
    if it was arranged for as cheap as possible eg.hostels etc and i got enough notice, im there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Shouldn't we try to organise this for sometime we are guaranteed snow i.e January?

Count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

just to say again I will be going :)
    Livigno is cool and there should be enfu snow at that time of the year.

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I would be up for It let me know the detaisl when they come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Count me in, should actually be able to afford a holiday by March.

/me waggles fingers and shouts X-TREME!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

March is the guarunteed snow time in livigno, even last year when it was the worst I've ever seen it it was well boardable and it snowed too. The locals told us it snows every week in March.

Snowboarding isnt cheap but Livigno makes up for it being duty free.

I'll get trip prices soon but you should expect to pay:
    (in euros)
    4-500 for flight and accom.
    250 for the full snowboard pack (boots, board, liftpass, tuition)
    40 for insurance (which given the lunatics that went last time seems stupidly cheap!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I'd go if I was on holiday's and if I was'nt working ( which I can't be certain of ). Could'nt we get a group discount for the board's and hotel room's?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

its that kinda thing wants me to pospone going back to college
    :(
    the adrenline rushes thinking about it , are week now .
    as only the memory of the memorys remain
    tell you in feb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Oops, thought I'd replied to this already.
    My hearty endorsement of this product and/or service is assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by tactical anni
    Shouldn't we try to organise this for sometime we are guaranteed snow i.e January?

Count me in!

Last year, I was away skiing in January. I was in Andorra while I had friends who went to Livingio and they had absolutely no snow. It was all ice everywhere. We were over there the first full week of January and they hadn't gotten snow in Livingio since December 26th. You are better leaving it a little later than January if you want to guarantee a lot of fresh snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FrostyThePeanut

I was in Andorra the first 2 years I went and it was really excellent for beginners. I went in march with 17 other friends and family and the slopes were in perfect condition. Andorra is crotch-grabbingly cheap aswell, and as it is duty-free you're talking bout 8euro for a bottle of jack-daniels. Ive heard Livingo is excellnt and cheap aswell, but Ive never been there.

And for anyone who is a bit wary about going on a skiing or boarding holiday coz it seems like too much work and not enough drinking, believe me its the best craic you can have with your clothes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

March Is the best time for snow in Livigno as Dev said. A friend is staying with us who is a local of the region and she has confirmed this as well.

Music/Kareoke provided by Kharn Pavarotti.

DotC

Just say no to Kokadi's

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

well im back in college kevin st ,
    & the dits together are trying to get a cheap snow hol ..(kids eh?)
    as always the more that go the cheaper it will be ..
    sooosoooooosooooooo
    they estimate 40+
    i dont think so.
    well those charter planes only take a bout 60 (right)?
    but if this place has a fun park
    im sure we could orginise something together
    & get a good price
    holy crap weed have our own plane
    how many places so far dev ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Hey whats the story guys ?
    any word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yar let's get this show on the road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Id be well on for this (as long as I get the docs A ok), Dev Id like to talk to you about organising it so that it would be dirt cheap, I explained all this to Coyote last year and it is very easily done with very little hassle.

Ill be in touch!

Merry Chrimbo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, last year there there was DeVore, Shad0r, Coyote, DotC, Otto Van Bismark and my brother (and me obviously) and it was a fupping great laugh. Karaoke was provided by my good self (and I won money doing it too).

It was my first time on a board and I must admit I enjoyed it immensely. Fell and hurt myself early in the week and couldn't really board again, but that hasn't put me off it.

I can't wait and I hear the MTV Jackass guys are gonna be in Livingo in March too...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I'd definitely be on for going. However I've never been on a snowboard or ski at all. Will this be a problem??

Found this link. http://www.goski.com/rit/livigno.htm

Sounds like a brill place. All I need to go is enough notice to let the boss know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Yep I'll be there again.

Just to those talking about "trying to get it as cheap as possible", it would be worth your while remembering that your going on a boarding trip. i.e. you'll prolly spend a large percentage of your time on a snowboard, which makes you aware of muscles you never knew you had, let alone that they would hurt! And they will.

Every day last year I soaked in a hot bath after we came back in to try and relax the muscles. That and a relativly comfy bed^ made me able to stay out boarding right up until the end.

My point being if its 100 quid cheaper for the week to stay in a hostel* (are there even hostels all the way up there in the mountains?) but the above amenities arent there then imo that 100 quid is prolly the best 100 quid anyone could spend.

Stuff once your there is really cheap, even if you arent prepared to cook for yourself. Beer if you buy it in the shops is cheap but costs more from the bars (no suprises there).

Obviously snowboarding isnt for everybody. There are loads of pussy's out there :D who wouldnt be into it. That said everyone that went last year seems hellbent on going again :)

Neil0r

^ Also alcohol. Alcohol is my friend and is proven to play a pivitol role in increasing snowboarding skillz.
    * Just like to point out that I've nothing against hostels and if I was going somewhere like Amsterdam for a week I'd be the first to book one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

is there any follow up on this Trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I'm going to Canada at the end of the year and am gona spend the winter season there working in Whistler and boarding so I've been looking to buy some new snow clothing etc.

Found a really good shop in cork city where I should be able (in the january sales) to get all the gear I need, clotheswise, for around 200 quid.

In otherwords if the trip goes ahead again and your gona come along then nows the time to buy your stuff for it.

o.k I havent got the time for full details, but Shad0r I know what you are getting at, but it is not what I had in mind.

As most of you know, we pretty much get ripped off on alot of things here in Ireland, Ski trips is one of a million.

My proposition could potentially knock a few hundred Euro, not just 1.

In France/Spain/Italy/Switzerland they run ski trips for large groups of people during the seasons known as De Sejour (usually 7-10 Days).

Now ive looked around briefly and from France ( you can go almost anywhere you like, there are 100's of companies in competition who offer this, so they all vary in destinations)
    youre looking at 250-400 which includes, Bus Journey to the resort, Ski Pass, All equipment Rented (but you must leave a deposit of course) and self catering accomadation 4 people per room, basically the usual package which you would get in Ireland.

After that all you need is your flight to France which can be very cheap with Ryan air (again there could be a group booking and hence a reduction).

So off the top of my head your talking 450-650 Eur all inclusive (apart from maybe 2 nights accomadation in France for the way over and back, but could be organised that we travel the whole thing in one day to save a few Eur).

We could go to a city where I have lots of contacts such as Lyon which is not far from some of the best resorts going.

And there is no problem booking these trips as Irish lads(Myself of Tack can arrange all of this).

Ive been on one before, the accomadation was nice, our equipment was brand new.

The above might be worth considering, plus Grenoble (one of the many destinations is absoloutely amazing!.

Tell us what you think.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres a few of us going to Livigno again this year on the 15th for 7 days.

Sorry I havent organised a big troup but if you can book somewhere there for anyone who wants to go you are more then welcome to come boarding with us.

I meant to organise a proper boards outing but I've been rushed off my feet here with Boards and Spin.

DeV.

ack, but more than understandable

I'll proabably just organise a trip to Grenoble with a few m8s from France with the above suggestion, may make it as far as livingo, will drop you a line if we do ;)

oh and btw Dev, out of curiousity, how much did it set you back pp and with whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Originally posted by Corega
    I'd go if I was on holiday's and if I was'nt working ( which I can't be certain of ). Could'nt we get a group discount for the board's and hotel room's?

Ehh, I'll be in school when it starts and I have an FCÁ recruit training week to go to as well. Soz tbh.

Posting from Livigno atm on a manky computer in the only internet cafe in town.

After managing a few crowd-pleasing spectacular wipeouts, i'm getting the hang of it. My ass HURTS quite a bit, sitting on the snow has helped a bit. Tip for anyone considering going: get tailbone armour.

I was going to post up a few photos from the trip, but i forgot to bring the USB cable for the camera so I'll post up the collection when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

everyone has a sore something but atleast we can get a "double click fix", we can all raid the duty free before we go, cheap fags and booze for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RED HORN

Not everybody, no slope owns Red Horn.

Pics are here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Not everybody, no slope owns Red Horn.

Your just saying that to be a hard man because of your insecurtys, and its those insecurtys that make you the real DUD.

Advertisement