Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard installation

• 10-08-2002 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

I want to install a new motherboard and processor on my PC but I am slightly worried as I have never done it before.
    Can anyone tell me if there is much to it?
    I was going to ask a PC repair shop to do it for me but they would charge me a fortune and anyway I would get huge personal satisfaction from doing it myself.
    My only previous experience of working with computer hardware was when I installed an extra hard disk a few months ago and let's face it, a ten year old could manage that!
    I am not a complete novice though, I know my around the inside of the CPU pretty well and I can identify the various parts (I have done a night class in PC repair and maintenance too!).
    The motherboard I have at the moment was on the PC when I bought it in July 1999. It's a P6EXP-Me (made by Intel I think).
    The one I am buying is an AMD Duron 1.2GHz, 128mb DDR (I think there is memory included).
    I am a bit concerned whether the other hardware on my PC will work with it, particulary the power supply unit and fan.
    I suppose it wouldn't be that expensive if I had to buy a new one but I would hope that the one I have at the moment would do.
    There is bound to be someone reading this who has done this kind of thing loads of times and could advise me.
    Here's hoping!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by lukin
    am not a complete novice though, I know my around the inside of the CPU pretty well and I can identify the various parts (I have done a night class in PC repair and maintenance too!).
    hmm my clumsy fingers can never get anywhere near those 0.13 micron cpu`s :p
    The one I am buying is an AMD Duron 1.2GHz, 128mb DDR (I think there is memory included).
    Thats not a motherboard thats a CPU+RAM
    I am a bit concerned whether the other hardware on my PC will work with it, particulary the power supply unit and fan.
    The psu should be fine, as for the fan, are you referring to the CPU fan, you`ll prolly be getting this along with the CPU(hey i don`t know what you`re buying)A CPU+Heatsink for the CPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭lukin

bazH,
    It's definitely a motherboard,processor and memory as it says this on the site:
    (I'm buying it from komplett.ie)

Package includes:

SKU 109053 AMD Duron 1.2 GHz OEM (200 MHz bus) Socket A Processor
    SKU 105275 DDR-DIMM PC2100 128MB DDR CL2.5 Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC266MHz)
    SKU 108935 MSI K7N420 PRO Mainboard. Socket A, DDR nForce420, LAN & Audio onboard, VGA
    SKU 109483 TaiSol CPU-Fan Socket A/7/370/FCPGA CEK733092, Up to1,3GHz, plus XP1600+

I'm talking about the fan and power supply that's separate from the mainboard, y'know tucked away in the corner of the case..

I knew with some nudging you`d produce the goods:p

to be honest i`d go for the special offer of the Athlon XP 1800 here

Your mobo will take it as well,

As for The fan you`re talking about(aka case fan) it will be fine as well, if its a molex or a mobo 3 pin connection either way you`ll be ok.

bazH,
    I had a look at that processor and pardon my undoubted ignorance here but I'm almost certain my motherboard will not
    support this.
    It says on the spec:
    Mainboard must support 266Mhz Front Side Bus (FSB).
    Mine only runs at 66 Mhz!

hmmm, the mobo you`re buying supports it alright, read the spec again here

What exactly are you referring to that runs at 66mhz

• Advertisement

Hey, that's a different link to the one you showed me first.
    One is just a processor, the other is the whole thing:motherboard & processor

Anyway, it says on the manual for my current board that
    "The mainboard supports a system bus of 66Mhz"
    ??

Look, the one I'm thinking of buying is here but the one you showed me last here looks like the better option (and cheaper too)

Hold on, thatthis is only a mainboard.
    For €146.87 (which is what the board on it's own would cost)
    how much extra would a 1800+MHz processor be?
    I'll have a look around but if it's equal to what I'll be paying for this I don't see the difference.
    Thanks for locating those mainboards anyway.

ok doky pal , i was showing you links of the componets and not a package.

If you wanna buy the package go right a head, if you maybe have a look around on the komplett site you`ll pick up a better deal(the 1800 cpu is on a special offer)

The mobo in the pckage can support it, but then buying each component seperatley is different to buying a package.

You`ll prolly get a better machine too.

<edit> Ah now, ye can't be doing that </edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Your power supply may not be able to handle the new gear, but you can try it, and if necessary buy a new 300w psu for about €30 - 40. If your machine is from dell ( sounds like it probably isn't, but I don't know the model numbers of dell motherboards ), you will probably need a new psu anyway.

I think the original bundle you posted is pretty good value. (duron 1.2 ) It will be plenty fast for your video encoding and recording needs. However, I would say that you could do with getting more ram, 128 doesn't really cut it these days.

• Advertisement

I reckon I will go for
    this
    I would rather get the board and processor together as I don't like the idea of installing the processor separetely.
    I don't trust myself with those things, they are v. delicate.
    I am peed off that it looks like I will need a new psu.
    I might be able to flog my old one as well as the old crappy board & processor.
    I also have a CD-R drive that I won't need anymore when I get my DVD-R drive so I can sell that as well.
    The whole lot combined will be so much off the bill.
    It's about time I got a faster processor anyway, I mean 366 Mhz is stone age in fairness.

P.S. It's PC Pro I have Gerry. I'll probably need more than 128 MB RAM alright, 196 should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, you'll probably still have to "install" the processor, attach it to the Motherboard. It'll most likely come in a seperate protective case. It's no big deal though, the real bitch is getting the Heatsink in place :]

That's great news altogether (not).
    They probably could easily install it on the motherboard when they are packing it but don't in the hope that clumsy idiots like me will bust it trying to put it in and then come back and have to buy a new one!

That's great news altogether (not).
    They probably could easily install it on the motherboard when they are packing it but don't in the hope that clumsy idiots like me will bust it trying to put it in and then come back and have to buy a new one!

errrrrr wrong.

They sell components not assemble components.

The package deals are just components that they can offload easily and are usually good balance`s.

You`ve done a pc repair course and have never removed a CPU(wtf?) theres nothing to it, its all ZIF these days. Your mobo manual will explain how to insert the CPU and heatsink and anything else(well it shud).

I'll probably need more than 128 MB RAM alright, 196 should do it.

Why had they no 32meg modules, basic rule of stuff, get as much ram as you can afford.

128megs is the minimum these days, 256megs is nice, 512 is sweet and 1meg+ is tasty 2 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its not hard to get ya fixed up....putting the CPU on the mobo and adding the fan is the easy part of building your own Pc. ....

Read as much stuff on building a pc as you can ... make sure you read all the articles you can find and the manuals that come with the PC.... GET yourself an anti-static wrist strap from peats or any pc store.... there only €10 and will save you :D

The package looks pritty good .. it should be no problem to build as long as you follow the manuals and read articles on how t do it..

I have an anti-static wrist strap, although I don't like using them, they're too restrictive.
    I get PC Live every month and I have one issue of it which showed how to build your own PC. Am going to dig it up now.

I have an anti-static wrist strap, although I don't like using them, they're too restrictive.

Not if ya use em right....ya dont need em on ALL the time...before you touch something or do work put it on then i just unclip em and work ... then put it back on for a while etc...

I get PC Live every month and I have one issue of it which showed how to build your own PC. Am going to dig it up now

Yup... i had about 4 copys which showed how to upgrade your mobo, etc.. these were pritty useful but i advise reading as much as you can..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hmm, I've built pc's for years now, and I don't have an anti static wrist strap. Just need to earth yourself every so often, and apply some common sense when handling components ( hold by the edges, not by the pins. ).

I wouldn't trust pc live to show you very much about building pc's, perhaps it will show you the basics of putting it together, but I think that when pc live's pc's stop working, they usually ring dell. ( Or else I'm talking utter crap, and pc lives editorial content has improved beyond all recognition since I stopped reading it. ) Stranger things have happened.

Anyway, putting in the cpu is not difficult at all. Open the lever on the socket, take the cpu out of its packaging, hold it by its edges. Then make sure the beveled edges on the cpu line up with those on the socket ( The missing pins on the corners ).

athlonpins.jpg
    socket_462.jpg

Theres only one way the cpu will go in. Once you have it lined up, place it gently into the socket, it will drop right in. Then just push the socket lever back down, and the cpu is held in place.
    Erm sorry the images aren't to scale, but scaling down the socket will make it more difficult to see the detail, so no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The big trick with putting your first pc together won't be the components, trust me.

It's very difficult to do stupid stuff like putting something (be it processor, power lead, etc) in the wrong way as it's all designed to prevent that, and provided you don't put your greasy mitts all over the motherboard and processor, you'll be ok. Take your time, and take time to look at the size and shape of everything before you start putting it all together. Loot at what's connected to what on your current mobo, and look on the new one for the same bits & bobs. Plan out what goes where before you start. Floppy leads won't fit in the PSU slot and vice versa so youll have no problems.

Like PiE says, what will be frustrating will be sticking the heatsink + fan assembly on top of the CPU - if you're dealing with a poorly designed mobo you'll be tryng to wedge your fingers round sickets or resistors and trying not to break stuff while attempting to bend a bit of wire over a tiny little plastic knobbly bit. :) Be patient and don't force it.

The big trick is what will happen when you switch it on for the first time and something's not working. :) yes it WILL happen. That's the tough part of building your own.

Thanks Winters, Gerry & Slutmonkey57b, for taking the time over your weekend to help me out.
    I have just one more idiotic question:
    Do I install the processor before I screw the board into the case or after? Or does it matter?

• Advertisement

Put the CPU, Heatsink and Fan on before you install the processor ... aput in the ram and all other components after the mobo is installed.

A bit of info on installing the processor:
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/heatsink.htm

image003.gif

There is a good guide there too on how to install the heatsink... i found em helpful :D

screw in the mobo then start adding the cpu, heatsink/fan, PSU, ram, graphics card, hard disk (with windows). Switch it on and see if it boots before you add in anything else (network cards, cdroms etc). Good luck.

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    screw in the mobo then start adding the cpu, heatsink/fan.

NO!
    Put the CPU and Heatsink/Fan on BEFORE you screw in the mobo! ... It is easier and less likley that you will damage it! ALso its recommended by the cpu and mobo manufactors.

Probably - I was too worried about banging it off something while fiddling about with the mobo when I was doing it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b

Like PiE says, what will be frustrating will be sticking the heatsink + fan assembly on top of the CPU - if you're dealing with a poorly designed mobo you'll be tryng to wedge your fingers round sickets or resistors and trying not to break stuff while attempting to bend a bit of wire over a tiny little plastic knobbly bit. :) Be patient and don't force it.

The other thing is to apply heatsink compound (white thermal grease) on the chip so that the heatsink is more efficient. Generally you secure the motherboard on a metal rack/tray that detatches from the case. Then you insert the chip and lock it using the bar at the side of the socket. Then you put the heatsink compound on the chip and apply the heatsink. Getting the clips to lock on the socket can be tricky but it is generally done by locking one down first and then doing the second. Then you insert the RAM and continue with connecting the switch/LED/Power connectors to the pins on the motherboard.

It really is not that difficult to do it. The important thing is to proceed slowly. The commonest mistakes are due more to rushing the build than anything else.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Use these instructions for the thermal compound. Even if you don't have artic silver.
    http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I have heard some instructions tell you to use the whole tube which is NOT really a good idea ;)

FWIW On the last rig I built I had to switch the I/O grounding plate to the one that came with the mobo. (thats the plate over the serial/paralle/usb/network etc ports) There is no way that I could have got the mobo installed with the heatsink and fan attached as they are too close to the plate and I had to do some *manipulation* with a pliers.
    I guess you need to see what fits the situation the best at the time .....

Advertisement