Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Woes

Options
  • 10-08-2002 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I got Adsl about a week and a half ago and it sure was sweet a world apart from 56K. Yesterday I came home from work for lunch and an eircom guy was up the pole across from my house the phone was dead so I says they must be working on it.
    About six I come home from work and the phone is back working perfect no problem there so I go to check my email and low and behold the ADSL light on the modem is out, Im starting to sweat the memories of 56K come flooding back 'Shudder'. and way to cut a long story short im back on 56K after trying everything I can think of and then trying it all again with the tech support people its really depressing to go from 1mbit to 56k I just realised how much it really sucked.

Cheers
    Redshift

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Why don't you just call repairs and have them fix it? If the sync light is out, it probably means they ****ed up your phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Had that trouble with my isdn box ,Orange light went, Ended up my line was f**ked up by the exghange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Heh - feel lucky that you got a taste of ADSL, the engineer was supposed to show up yesterday (Friday) for me. He didn't. Rang eircom and was told I would have to wait until Monday to find out what happened on Friday - they didn't even mention when I'd get the damn thing.

To add insult to injury - there is an engineering plant about 200 metres from my house with thirty eircom vans in it on any given day...

:( This is Eircom mate - things don't work (from ISDN, to ADSL, to most of their overstaffed company), I think we all know that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Why don't you just call repairs and have them fix it? If the sync light is out, it probably means they ****ed up your phone line.

I already did M8 I was told it would be looked into but the didn't know when it would be fixed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

make sure u keep track of the days u are with out adsl and demand a refund for those days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

NoelRock, if you check the front of your phone book, u will see that if Eircom fail to meet an appointment you may recieve 1 months free line rental. They messed up my order a when i first ordered it(someone cancelled the order) anyway i sent an e-mail, got no repsonse, so phoned them....i got €100 back from them, then i recieved a phone call in regards to my e-mail and received €75 for that. Anyway what u need to do is quote from the phone book about there agreement, and you should recieve a refund.

Pimp - you have just made my weekend :)!

Redshift - be persistent and perhaps mumble the word 'business costs' the next time you talk to them. Could speed things up...

I spoke to the ADSL helpline again tonight to the only helpful person I have spoken to yet I won't say his name just incase but apparently all is well exchange side with my line and DSl connection the engineers report said that the l"ine conditions must have changed since installation" im thinking well that's obvious since it was ok untill eircom were at the pole on friday.
    I hope their not lining me up to say that they can't provide ADSl for technical reasons cause since it had worked perfectly for a week and a half their not getting off the hook with that excuse.

Cheers
    Redshift

Originally posted by tuxx
    make sure u keep track of the days u are with out adsl and demand a refund for those days
    You better belive i'll be doing that I was thinking of getting them to refund my dial-up costs aswell while it's out of order to compensate for the 'incovenience' ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I had a 1024 x 256 line installed only a few days ago. Seems to be working perfectly. The engineer told me that there are only 8 engineer's installing ADSL in the Dublin area. They do 4 per day. So maybe the guy who was supposed to install yours was just sick that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Praetorian
    The engineer told me that there are only 8 engineer's installing ADSL in the Dublin area. They do 4 per day.

Each engineer does 4 a day? or "They" do 4 a day? :rolleyes:

Eircom : "We are committed to rolling out ADSL"

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I had a 1024 x 256 line installed only a few days ago. Seems to be working perfectly. The engineer told me that there are only 8 engineer's installing ADSL in the Dublin area. They do 4 per day. So maybe the guy who was supposed to install yours was just sick that day.

Nope - after spending an hour on the phone today being bounced from eircom department to eircom department I was finally told that an engineer had went to install i-stream on Thursday (my appointment was on friday - do they mess about with the exchange or something prior to it?) and that my line was not passing - despite being passed several times for pre-qual. Ugh, is that fair?

Apparently someone is coming tomorrow morning to sort me out and they better not take too long about I have to sneak out of work.;) But seriously this 56K SH1t is driving me nuts I guess i've been spoiled by ADSl It's like getting out of a 7Series Beamer and into a rusty 1980 fiesta or something.:eek:

Cheers
    Redshift

My 5 days of hell are at long last over they finally got it sorted today apparently it was an exchange problem, The line card was probably fecked or something.

Cheers
    Redshift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

8 engineers doing 4 installations a day? If that is the case, surely there should be more than a thousand installations to date? Or were those figures quite old? Because at that rate, Eircom are putting in nigh on 650 installations each month.

My interpretation of this is....

There are eight engineers - and between them they do four installations a day on average, it seems to fall nearer the 1,000 mark that way, and sounds about right :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Check your PMs aidan.

Please keep this thread on-topic. Its a fairly interesting one and im loathe to close it. Yes, im deleting offtopic posts.

Advertisement