Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living

Options
  • 10-08-2002 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Since the onset of the Euro and in particular in the last three months, I have found the cost of living here to be astronomical, with businesses across the board putting goods and services up as and when they feel like it and increasing their costs by huge amounts. Am I imagining this or do you agree?

Do you think that the cost of living has risen dramatically since the Euro changover 24 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You beat me to this one McGinty.
    I was just thinking the exact same thing myself.

I've been living away from home for few months now and its only when Mammy & Daddy aren't paying for your boxes of Frosties and 2L bottles of Pepsi Max that it adds up quickly. I mean fruit and veg prices have sky rocketed in Tesco anyway. There used to be a 99p bag of apples and now it costs 2 euro (for a minimal amount more)

And whats the deal w/ the price of Chewing Gum:o
    Has it or has it not gone up 50% in a few months.

These are just *my* grocery gripes at least !!

--
    As for other stuff.
    I think the price of clothes has stagnated to a certain degree. But maybe thats just a general trend. Places like O'Connors on Grafton St. and Motion Picture have had good value on "brands" etc.

Anyway I'm sure theres loads more stuff i'm forgetting but overall I concur with the motion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yea, my wages may seem to have gone up but my money for spending seems to have gone down. I thought it was just Dublin being its extortionate self but maybe it is the bump up of the Euro. I read somewhere that general prices for consumer goods had actually gone down after the euro but I can't believe it.

The trouble is that people seem willing to pay this mad amount of money for what should really be cheap. We are letting it happen by buying such goods but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many alternatives.

Maybe I'll get good at gardening and grow my own.

... got to go, eircom is charging me a shoulder and a torso for this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

le Wa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    McGinty there was no need to put a "No" option in the poll, like this country must be the most expensive in the whole bloody universe, Last Sunday 3 weeks, i went to Dublin, i was charged, €14 for three cream buns, a glass of coke, and a plate of greasy chips, me and my friends told them to F**k off with themselves and walked out the door, Remember in pesetas and esxudo and lira, every thing was in the thousands, it i'll be like that shortly here if bertie don't wake up shortly,

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

This may sound petty but I used to buy my lunch in Spar every day. Before Euro a yoghurt cost 45p, after Euro 82c. I asked the manager about the increase and he ignored me. Everything in the shop seemed to go up. This is true probable for most Spar-type shops and probably reflects consumer trade in general.
    The cinema used to be between 5-5.50 pounds. now its about 7.50 Euro, an increase of about 8%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did'nt vote as the question is wrong, it suggests the euro is
    responsible for the undoubted jump in prices in certain areas, its not.

Its business that is. They will of course blame insurance costs which have skyrocketed and the insurers are blameing underwriting costs after Sept 11. Its worth noting that much inflation is in service areas where little or no competition exists such as health premiums and electricity charges.

And the government fiddles...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

It's not the Euro's fault. I love the Euro.It's the fault of the greedy out there and it's not just Ireland.I wanted a donut and a coke in Amsterdam , they wanted 4.90 Euro.I left with an empty tummy.

If it's too dear , don't pay it and TELL THEM !!!!! You can only have yourself to blame if you pay these crazy prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by mike65
    They will of course blame insurance costs which have skyrocketed and the insurers are blameing underwriting costs after Sept 11.

Mike.

Apparently the cost of insurance of all types in the US of A has come down since September. (I heard this from a guest on Newstalk 106 during a debate on Insurance costs in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thing that p****s me off the most is that it is across the board - everywhere. I would gladly avoid a place that has raised prices massively and shop elsewhere, if I could find someplace that hasn't hiked it's prices - but there is none. I noticed the Irish Times upped their prices 3 cents last week - it's all a little nibble.

It'll cost them in the end - at least there is discretionary spending involved - I used to eat out a lot, now I eat at home more - let them suffer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

My question was Do you think prices have increased SINCE the euro changeover. I am not blaming the euro currency itself.

I am glad I am not the only who thinks service providers / retailers have dramatically risen their prices. If I could buy neccessisties at a cheaper price I would as I am sure most people would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It has risen but not dramatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Originally posted by PH01
    It has risen but not dramatically

Depends on your definition of 'dramatically' an extra 20 or 30 quid per week increase in your weekly shopping/utilities might be undramatic to somebody well off but it would be a dramatic rise for the not-so-well-off.

Its all relative you pedantic person.

Advertisement