Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting RTE in the UK (Fast Reply wanted)

• 10-08-2002 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭

A relation of mine is desperate to get RTE in the UK. He is willing to try anything.

So how does he go about it.

Firstly he has an old analogue dish on his house. I told him he does not need to replace the dish only the LNB.

How would he go about getting an Irish sub here with out actually getting the dish and box. All he wants is the card.

Then he buys a second hand digibox.

Now he has the box. But how would he go about getting the Irish card authorised to the second hand box he got in the UK.

Its all a bit confusing but what can I tell him the best way to go about getting it set up. (Spelling Corrected)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, that should be fine.

It would be best to have the digibox first, though, as its serial number maybe required firstly.

Ring Sky from the ROI, say that you have a second hand box, and would like to sign up. Supply them with an ROI address, an ROI direct debit or credit card (the country of origin of the credit card, apparently, is not that much an issue, but if doing it via direct debit an Irish bank account is a must)

They then send the card to the Irish address. Once he has the card and box, its like the opposite of a BBC card, you ring when he has the card in his box. Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

If he has relatives or friends in Ireland, why doesn't he simply swap subscriptions. In other words, get a new digital subscription from Sky in the UK and then swap the digibox and the card with someone in Ireland. Both digibox and card must be swapped together.

The outcome - he gets the Irish line-up in the UK and his relative or friend gets the UK line-up. Since both parties can pick the local stations terrestrially, neither party 'loses' channels, and both gain.

There are a number of considerations - obviously neither party can contact Sky directly, and you can never use the telephone line (and so no interactive services). It is also handier if both parties want the same subscription package, though you can come to a simple agreement on this. You are also breaking contract with Sky, but as this arrangement is virtually undetectable to Sky, you will be able to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Does the card not have to be activated with telephone line to get the irish channels,,,,i am sure that Tony geezer said something about it

Also his dish will have to be moved to 28east

I remember this was said before...

The second-hand box doesn't have to be plugged in, its subsidy has been paid for, as it were, and isn't that just a condition of new boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

If you are swapping digiboxes it is best both are out of contract, as the telephone thing does not apply to out of contract boxes. In the UK you can also opt to buy a non-subsidised new digibox (think it costs around £300), which does not require phone connection. I don't think you can do the same in Ireland.

Or, alternatively as you already suggested, second hand boxes would not be subject to the telephone clause. I would also note that the enforcement of telephone connection is very lax in Ireland - mine is almost out of contract and it has never been connected to the phone line. While there are no interactive services in Ireland, nor Sky+ (for which telephone connection is mandatory), the telephone issue is therefore less important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by seano
    Does the card not have to be activated with telephone line to get the irish channels,,,,i am sure that Tony geezer said something about it

Also his dish will have to be moved to 28east

Who you calling a geezer :-) It may still be possible to do a manual switch on but they'll be suspicious as all installers should be using the phone line. Worth a try though.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    I remember this was said before...

The second-hand box doesn't have to be plugged in, its subsidy has been paid for, as it were, and isn't that just a condition of new boxes?

No it's a condition of subscription, dont forget there is no opt out price in Ireland as ther is in Uk. May still be possible to get it switched on manually though.

Tony

Oakie dokie Tony, thanks for clearing that one up :)

I did not know Geezer had become offensive,next time i shall say gentleman

Originally posted by seano
    I did not know Geezer had become offensive,next time i shall say gentleman

I was just kidding Seano, hence the " :-) " call me a geezer anytime you like:)

• Advertisement

Friends again

Advertisement