Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mobiles and using them in China

Options
  • 10-08-2002 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

My aunt is going to China in October and wants to know whether her mobile phone will work while she's on holliers there- both to make and receive calls.

She has a Nokia 3310, and she has contract w/ Eircell/Vodafone.
    One of the (ever informative:rolleyes:) shops told her she would need a triband and the other told her she could use her 3310. So does anyone have any knowledge about this.

If she does need a Triband, what are the better ones around (preferably a nokia)

tia :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

She should be OK with a GSM phone as Vodafone Ireland have roaming agreements with both the China Mobile and CU-GSM networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

China Mobile and China Unicom both use GSM 900, same as Vodafone Ireland, so there's no problem.

You'd need dualband to use a GSM 1800 network (various countries) and triband to use a GSM 1900 network (north and south America)

http://www.vodafone.de/askd2/Roaming/ir-db/htdocs/Countries.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

That conclusivley seems to end the matter.
    Thanks lads:)

Just goes to show the potency of the cracksquad of Tech Savy individuals that work in Mobile Phone shops.:rolleyes:. My aunt said he was practically shoving a contract down her throat claiming she "catergorically" needed a triband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I was there last year and my phone worked in bejing for the first few days, but after i left bejing it woudl not work in most places

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leozhao

I'm from China, in China we use the same networks as Ireland, so she can use any irish mobiles in china, my friend went back to china last year, he has a contract phone from vodafone/eircell, it works all well in china, but u have to pay a lot on roaming, make and receive calls, u can send and receive message as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement