Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You ****ed up now what.....

• 10-08-2002 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Lets say you didnt do well enough in your leaving results, what are you gonna do ?

What will you do ? 26 votes

Repeat
    0% 0 votes
    Take that #10 choice off CAO
    53% 14 votes
    PLC / FAS course to get into your #1
    15% 4 votes
    I failed, gotta get a job now
    30% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Sorry if the title is against the law or something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hopefully all will go well for you danmyanks.

If you don't do well enough to get into your chosen course:

Firstly examine what you really want to do. If you really really want to do the course you put down on your CAO and you miss out on it, it's worth taking the extra steps to get it.

If you just missed out and really think you can improve on your performance next year, it's certainly worth repeating. if you need Irish to get into your chosen college and you passed it this year, you won't have to do it again next year - you'll be deemed to have matriculated in that subject (ditto English). If these subjects drag you down and you won't be relying on them for points, don't do them again.

If you would be quite happy doing a course lower on your list, and you get the points for that, it's well worth considering doing that course. Again, though, if you really want your top choice and you think you can get it in a re-run, it's only one year - not a big deal in the greater scheme of things.

If you can get into your number one course by doing a PLC course or similar it would be worth considering this also.

Don't do a course you really don't want to do - you'll only regret it in the long run. Lots of people put down real safety courses at the end of their CAO form - don't do just any course for the sheerr sake of doing any course.

All I can think of at the moment, but I'll post again if anything else occurs to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

If I ****ed up, I'll stay in the rather nice job I have now and try and make something out of that.

I felt the exams went ok for me and that I was reasonably lucky with what came up and how I got everything answered properly without budgeting my time (a note for anyone who has yet to do the LC, make sure and divide up your time properly because it's a real kick in the stones to not be able to answer a question properly at the end because you didn't leave time for it). But because everything went ok for me there's no way I'd even consider repeating, I might not be as lucky next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The leaving cert is by no means the be all and end all of life.

If all you want to do is spend the next years in college, then by all means redo the leaving if it means you'll get into the course you want. But when you get out of college you're going to need a job and employers want experience over qualifications, generally speaking.

I spent years lazing about academia, went to college to avoid getting a job and when I finally did get one I was much happier. And it wasn't a nice job, I was a college dropout working my way doing ****e. Don't assume that failure in academic circles will follow on to failure elsewhere, there's always other possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

oI i've only 3 course's on me CAO...so i couldn't take the 10th....huge pts diff between em so if i didn't get lowest it means i've failed a core subject so repeat..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

oI i've only 3 course's on me CAO...so i couldn't take the 10th....huge pts diff between em so if i didn't get lowest it means i've failed a core subject so repeat..............

Yeah that's sort of annoying me now, I might have failed irish because I really didn't put in any effort at all, even in the exam. I didnt even try and say anything in the Oral, spend the Aural looking out the window, and left after an hour of both papers because wanted to go and play pool with friends, even though there was a load of stuff I still could have written down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

in a way im not that worried because im taking a year out. I'm heading off to the land down under for a year cos to be quite honest i havent a clue what i want to do.
    hopefull i'll figure it out while im there
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, don't worry about it. I've me repeats starting tomorrow, if I mess these up, I'm in the same boat, so.......

As someone said, experience will beat a qualification hands down anyday. Unless you want to do something that you *have* to go to college for (Medicine, Law, Architecture) then don't worry 'bout it. If you don't get that computer course....feck it. Go get an entry-level job and start teaching yourself the ins-and-outs of computers. Before you know it, you're a Sysadmin on €25K a year and you've 4 years experience behind you. So while your friends are only finishing college, you're thinking about buying a house with your gf, and you drive a sh1t-hot car. What's so bad about that? There is a lot to be said for going to college though.....drinking, partying, general craic, and the ability to stick a few letters after your name.

If I had messed up my leaving there was no way I would repeat. I even said that from 5th year. It's the same this year. If I fail these, I don't go back, that's just the way I feel about it. I know that if I failed and went back into 2nd year, I would start getting antsy about the end of 3rd year, and probably leave anyway, once I saw all my mates getting jobs and having weekends free etc etc.

It really depends on yourself. If you mess it up, do what you wanna do, but don't listen to anyone who says "OMG, look what you've done! You have to go back and repeat now, or you'll never amount to anything!". My bro did a carpentry apprenticeship after his LC and is pretty much rolling in it now........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Off to the States for a while for me if the ole LC goes pear shaped.

Better than sitting around here wondering "What if..."

Btw...repeating is just a definate no...5 years is enough...6 is one too many (ME!)...butt to spend 7 years in secondary is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭BKtje

can you repeat but work for the year and just sit the exams themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah of course you can! You could of done that first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by seamus
    Ah, don't worry about it. I've me repeats starting tomorrow, if I mess these up, I'm in the same boat, so.......

As someone said, experience will beat a qualification hands down anyday. Unless you want to do something that you *have* to go to college for (Medicine, Law, Architecture) then don't worry 'bout it. If you don't get that computer course....feck it. Go get an entry-level job and start teaching yourself the ins-and-outs of computers. Before you know it, you're a Sysadmin on €25K a year and you've 4 years experience behind you. So while your friends are only finishing college, you're thinking about buying a house with your gf, and you drive a sh1t-hot car. What's so bad about that? There is a lot to be said for going to college though.....drinking, partying, general craic, and the ability to stick a few letters after your name.

If I had messed up my leaving there was no way I would repeat. I even said that from 5th year. It's the same this year. If I fail these, I don't go back, that's just the way I feel about it. I know that if I failed and went back into 2nd year, I would start getting antsy about the end of 3rd year, and probably leave anyway, once I saw all my mates getting jobs and having weekends free etc etc.

It really depends on yourself. If you mess it up, do what you wanna do, but don't listen to anyone who says "OMG, look what you've done! You have to go back and repeat now, or you'll never amount to anything!". My bro did a carpentry apprenticeship after his LC and is pretty much rolling in it now........

I just gotta say, your post has brightened up my day! I've applied for a computer course in college, results tomorrow(ahh!) and i have a strong feeling im not going to get the points. But what you said there just makes me feel happy:)
    Thanks!

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

I just gotta say, your post has brightened up my day! I've applied for a computer course in college, results tomorrow(ahh!) and i have a strong feeling im not going to get the points
    the applicants for computer points have dropped by 50%.so expect a HUGE drop in the points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Hey all,
    I was just wondering about repeating..I AM definetly going to repeat next year but was just wondering what exactly will this entale? I passed Irish,Maths and English, all reasonably well,so could I keep the points of those and just repeat my weaker subjects?

Thanks,
    Sparkle.x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    can you repeat but work for the year and just sit the exams themselves

lol isn't that what most of us did this year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 dantosh

damnyanks wrote: »
    Lets say you didnt do well enough in your leaving results, what are you gonna do ?

you go play a guitar on the streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

dantosh wrote: »
    you go play a guitar on the streets

You made an account on boards to answer a question from 10 years ago? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement