Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stemming the flow of muppets. Get a coffee this is a long one.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Am a bit of a newbie myself, found about about boards through the Golden Spider Awards (Work 4 one of the sponsors). Have been away in the Far east for the past 6ish mnts and only back in employ, so I have not had a chance to really get into boards.

I like it. I like the idea of it being open to everybody. Lets just ignore the muppets!! Seriously ignore them, don't reply or rise to them and they will go away. I guarantee it.

On another issue what is a troll??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

On another issue what is a troll?

Yore such an a55hol3 Hobart!

^^^ That's a troll Hobart. ^^^

I agree with Hobart by the way. Leave it open to all, find better ways to deal with the muppets. One way would be to place more responsibility on the mods, and/or appoint more (responsible, obviously) Super Mods.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i have a recomendation.
    The Ignore button whilst useful still has its shortcomings.
    Posts by the Ignored remain visable in a thread,thus reminding you of the fact that they are still there,when in reality you would rather wish that they would just **** off and die allowing you to contemplate the higher meaning of life,such as why princess liah got more and more fanciable as the starwars trilogy progressed.
    But i digress.
    How about An "erase" option next to the ignore button which would mean that a browsers page would show no mention of an "erased" poster either in the thread or in the listing updates.
    Of course there would be drawbacks as other posters arguments with said idiot would still be visable,but thats the case with the ignore option as it stands anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Invite only sounds good, I was shown boards by Coyote who's first word's were "don't act the muppet", I certainly hope I've stuck by Coyote's first word's. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Well i think i classify as the exact oppoite of spammer, 250 odd posts in 4 years or so i think.

The main reason im replying is that karma has been mentioned once or twice, this has ben tried and failed ... miserably.

Also as others have said going either no new members or invite only will cause stagnation of the boards. I think option 4 is about the only available.

On the other hand im all for banning cork :D
    ... that will solve a couple of problems ..

On the topic of banning free mail addresses,
    I use a fre mail address here, why because there is no way in hell im going to use my work address , wanna keep it spam free, and other than that freee mail is the only option. All the isp's are essentially free mail they dont want details or anyhting to give you a mail address.

In terms of slowing the spamming (dam this is getting long) there a a couple of things that need to be done,

- The job of the admins is to run the overall boards and deal with higher level stuff , not to moderate. This has been said before - basically the admins put a huge amount of hours into boards (respect) but some of that is spent devling in and doing the job of the moderators.

- So do we have enough moderators ?
    Maybe maybe not, a few more probably wouldnt kill.

- Anyone found having more than one account at all has all their accounts 12 clicked, pure and simple, no exceptions -- that will get rid of some of your spam - but not much.

Thats about as much as can be done right now, I think we have to sit and wait another 12 months to see if boards continues to deteroriate & at what rate.

Finally how I found boards, as far as I recall it was toilet pointed be to lacerta.ucg.ie , but I could be wrong -- so many brain cells killed since.

cheers

c22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Oh yeah... first heard of boards when adam set up the ctyi forum. Yeah... I was a CTYI kid.. now i'm just an idiot.

Yeah... Personally i think restricting people when they first join might work. Or giving them some kinda newbie board that they have to stay on for a week until the rest are unlocked to them... that way granddaddy devore can get a decent mod to pick out the muppets and... <ahem>... remove them.

But personally i'd say leave it a while. It's probably all the kiddies coming back from their summer holidays and getting ready for school again. Junior infants and what. But yeah... i'd guess the muppetry will quite down. A lot.

Advertisement