Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Camera Advice Please

• 11-08-2002 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a digital camera. I've read a few reviews here and there. But would like to know what peoples recomendations are.

I am looking to spend no more than about 500ish, and I'd hope to get a reasonable camera for that. Basic requirements are that it has zoom, flash, rechargeable batteries, 3megapixel, LCD, blah, blah. It's important that the camera takes good night time pictures, therefore an adjustable exposure time might be of benefit. From what I've seen the Kodaks look like they handle this better than the Fuji's.

I've seen a few that fall below and above this spec, was looking atFuji Finepix 2600 today and the 4700, also the Kodak DX3900, Konica 400z, canon s30 sureshot, stuff like that. Of couerse, I was looking inCurrys and I don't think I would consider buying from them when it comes to the crunch.

Where would I pick up a good deal online (UK or Ireland only) ? What shops are worth looking at (I'm in Waterford most of the time, but tend to be in Dublin, and Dundalk or Belfast a lot too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Try before you buy! Having just got rid of a digital camera I recommend you look at the interface - something most reviews don't cover. You may find that the actual feedback from the camera when it's taking a picture isn't great, and if the camera moves even a tiny amount you'll end up with a huge blur across the picture - and don't assume you'll see it on the viewer either. One that remembers your settings is an advantage as there's nothing worse than opening the camera only to have to go through a wodge of menus before you can take a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'm a firm believer in Canon.
    Have a IXUS 4 and a PowerShot A10 and both great camera's and easy to use.
    just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd say justhalf will be able to give you plenty of info about the nikon he bought, I can't remember the specs right now, but was about 500 euro. I've used it, and it has an excellent zoom, variable shutter speeds, extremely high resolutions, the whole works.

To give you a rough idea, I've given links to 2 pictures (400k jpg's). The fans are spinning in the picture of meh pc, I just increased the shutter speed. The other shot is a demo of the macro zoom. I think you can slow the exposures up to a second or 2, not sure though. btw I haven't perfectly focused those pictures, my camera skillz are somewhat lacking.

http://redbrick.dcu.ie/~minds/phil/DSCN0059.JPG
    http://redbrick.dcu.ie/~minds/phil/DSCN0079.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Impressive. Must have very good shutter speed to be able to catch a fan like that. It's just what I need, I tend to take quite a lot of pictures of fast moving objects being a sports fan.

Didn't know you were DCU like myself Gerry.

I will PM Justhalf for that model number. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    It's important that the camera takes good night time pictures, therefore an adjustable exposure time might be of benefit.

hmmmm. suspicious :D

• Advertisement

Em not actually DCU, though I have some mates there :) Tis a guest account for our maynooth netsoc, minds http://minds.may.ie . </shameless plug>

Feel free to shamelessly plug stuff there, Gerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sweet Deal here

Sony DSC-P51 Digital Camera [2.0MP 2xOptical]
    2.0 MegaPixel effective Super HAD CCD

2X Optical zoom lens, 3X Precision Digital zoom, 6X Total zoom

3 Area Multi-point Auto Focus

Selectable Multi-pattern measuring or Spot Meter Auto Exposure modes

Clear Colour & Luminance noise reduction

Eye-level true-zoom Optical Viewfinder

1.5" 61K Pixel LCD Viewfinder with battery remaining indicator

3 MPEG Movie modes (w/o audio)

Multi-burst mode captures 16 320x240 frames at selectable intervals

Clip Motion Mode captures up to ten 160x120 frames and creates a GIF animation

Playback Zoom with selectable resolution trimming function

In-camera re-size function

Video output with connector cable allows image playback on TV

Supplied with rechargeable batteries and charger

Includes 16MB Memory Stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I suppose it's not bad for the price.

Quigs, I'll have a look round for other places to pick up that Nikon Coolpix 995 (I had a list a while ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kodak Dx 3900 3.1 mega pixel

Found it for 364 on net with a quick search.

kdja

• Advertisement

Just in case you weren't messing slutmonkey, you can only join the maynooth netsoc if you are a registered student of maynooth.

Thanks Justhalf. By the way folks, Justhalfs Nikkon Coolpix 995 pees all over the competition, so I am on the lookout for one of those.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I may be looking into some of them if I can't locate the Nikkon. (No longer made).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bazH
    Sweet Deal here

Not bad for the price at all.

Uses nasty Memory Stick though - always seems more expensive than the alternatives.

Feel free to shamelessly plug stuff to ill effect then, :)

Go on you shameless plugger.

Thanks Justhalf, I am looking at this and the 885 (not quite as good as yours, but not too far off, I am definitely going with Nikkon anyway, no matter what).

Don't get too caught up in brand loyalty.

When ASUS started shipping drivers with wallhacks built in, I started fuming and saying "I'm never going to buy ASUS cards EVER".

Of course, when it came down to it, they were the best bang for the buck, and my last two graphics cards have been from ASUS.

Brand Loyalty is not my thing.

Quite simply in my price range, nothing gives the same control and quality as the Nikkons, I've checked the reviews of every sub 700 Euro camera out there. This includes sample pics taken in all conditions, I have yet to see the Nikkons matched. The only one which might tempt me away based on it's samples and reviews is the Casio QV400.

I used to say I'd never buy AMD, then I got an athlon, then I was never going to buy Intel again, then I got a P4. So I know where you're coming from. Me, when It comes to loyalty, as a programming contractor, I am a prostitute, I just go to the highest bidder. When I want something, I get the best quality for my budget, and I don't care who makes it.

Are you sure you don't want to sell your 995 ?

Not a chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

A friend of mine who's into this photography mullarkey swears by a place called New York Camera (www.ny-camera.net) - oddly enough, they're German - for his photographic stuff; they offer pretty good prices and excellent service I'm told (both for film and digital stuff).

However, their online shop seems to be belly-up at the moment (I just pick my times, don't I?) :rolleyes:

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OK I'm think about ordering the camera mentioned below.
    Whats the general consenus on the quality of this camera??

I just saw it on ]Circuit City for $279 so if I decide to get it, I'll delivered to parents and I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

Originally posted by bazH
    Sweet Deal here

Sony DSC-P51 Digital Camera [2.0MP 2xOptical]
    2.0 MegaPixel effective Super HAD CCD

2X Optical zoom lens, 3X Precision Digital zoom, 6X Total zoom

3 Area Multi-point Auto Focus

Selectable Multi-pattern measuring or Spot Meter Auto Exposure modes

Clear Colour & Luminance noise reduction

Eye-level true-zoom Optical Viewfinder

1.5" 61K Pixel LCD Viewfinder with battery remaining indicator

3 MPEG Movie modes (w/o audio)

Multi-burst mode captures 16 320x240 frames at selectable intervals

Clip Motion Mode captures up to ten 160x120 frames and creates a GIF animation

Playback Zoom with selectable resolution trimming function

In-camera re-size function

Video output with connector cable allows image playback on TV

Supplied with rechargeable batteries and charger

Includes 16MB Memory Stick
    [/QUOTE

Advertisement