Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddy needs help

Options
  • 12-08-2002 4:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Hey can anyone think of a fix to this problem.

"My main business client installed the ISDN and a pc to link up directly to their office. The BT man installed the box at the rear of my house, which is where Jane setup the pc in the conservatory, as she will mainly be using it for our admin.
    My pc is in the cupboard under the stairs, some 25 metres away (measuring around the skirting boards).

The 'works' pc is connected to the ISDN box with a cable that looks like the network type. However the box on the wall also has two usb sockets. BT tell me that I can simply connect my gaming pc to the box using a usb lead. However, PCWorld tell me that usb doesn't work over that length of cable. The longest lead I can buy is 5 metres. I was told that I could buy a powered usb hub and set it up halfway.

This pushes the cost well over my allowed budget. Can you suggest another way around this. I cannot move my gaming machine, but could perhaps have the ISDN box relocated. I could shorten the distance to about 15 metres, if I run the lead directly through the house and pack it away when not playing mohaa. Is it worth joining 3 x 5 metre usb leads together and seeing what happens? I just don' want to waste the money. These leads are not cheap."

Kdja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I assume you have the following:

1. A work PC with an internal TA connected to the normal ISDN port.

2. A games PC with a USB port.

Assuming that it is possible to connect to the BT box with a USB port (and no TA), why not transfer the TA to the games PC and run a long lead to the normal ISDN port. Use a high quality phone lead or CAT5 wired with the appropriate connectors at each end.

Then connect the work PC to the BT box via the USB lead.

Caveat: I don't know anything about BT's ISDN setup. Check first that what BT is saying is true, i.e., that you can make an ISDN connection simply with a USB lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im not sure about the BT thing either from what he said its the modem they hooked to the wall????

Hopefully someone in here knows mors about the BT isdn.

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GD1

Could you get an old PC and install linux on it with a proxy.
    Then just buy an cheap little hub and plug your gaming pc into it?

Advertisement