Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of a surprise for Liverpool fans

• 12-08-2002 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

As a fan of the mighty Anfield lads, this arcticle which appeared on teamtalk.com on Saturday came as some what of a shock for me...

Wright set for Black cats switch

Liverpool have agreed a fee - thought to be in the region of £1,500,000 - for the sale of defender Stephen Wright to Sunderland.
    The England Under-21 star will meet up with Black Cats boss Peter Reid this weekend to discuss personal terms before signing early next week.
    Wright enjoyed an excellent season on Anfield last year and proved to be an able deputy at right-back in the absence of Markus Babbel.
    He even signed a new three-year deal with the Reds, but the arrival of Portugal international Abel Xavier and the return to fitness of Babbel has seen him slip down the pecking order at Anfield.
    Clubs spokesman Ian Cotton told the club's website: "We have had discussions with Sunderland and have now agreed a fee for the player. We have now given Sunderland permission to speak directly with Stephen."
    Wright was unlikely to feature on a regular basis for Liverpool next season, but the price tag of £1.5m, hot on the heels of Nick Barmby's £2.75m move to Leeds, is bound to raise a few eyebrows amongst Reds fans.

For one, the very fact that the reds are willing to part with one of there up and coming stars of the backline was somewhat surprising, but the fact that this arcticle suggests ( although so far unconfirmed ) that the fee will be £1.5m really takes the biscuit.

Some may slate me for calling Stephen Wright an up and coming star, but the fact of the matter is that he was more than capable of holding his own against some of Europe's elite when he stepped out on the Champions league stage last year.

He's 21 years of age and for me shows an awful lot more promise than the aging Abel Xavier.

There's something of an April fool's feeling in this arcticle for me.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im as surprised as you. I didnt even think for a moment that theyd sell him off. He played some good games last season and showed himself to be more than capable of holding his own. Im sure with maybe a few more years experience he would have turned into a great defender. Although atm the return of Babbel and having Xavier all probable starters ahead of him would mean he wouldnt be given much opportuinty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

apparently wright has the rep of a bad ass in the mould of Dunc Ferguson, Don Hutchinson etc.

Juts what i heard, prolly slander but would explain the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep this took me by surprise too. Of the youth graduates I thought Wright was the most likely to become a regular, but then Xavier was bought as cover for Babble and I guess Houlier just thought that was one right back too many...hang on where does this leave Carragher?!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Surely the asking price is at least a little too low in this day and age for a player of his calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I'm as surprised as all of you! Imagine! Peter Reid still thinking he needs to strengthen his defence after the acquisition of Phil Babb!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Good move for him, more regular football and its not like Liverpool are gonna win the league anyway so why stay there in the reserves? :D

Yeah good point Jake,

Sunderland have a much better chance of league success than Liverpool _not_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Well maybe if ye took the time to read the post.................

What I mean is that at least he'll be playing regularly at Sunderland and Liverpool aint gonna win the league this season anyway so why not move in search of first team action and a chance to improve his game?

Argh I'm only joking Jake.

It probably is a good move for him. I'm just a little surprised it wasn't a loan move because I do reckon he will be a bit of a legend in years to come.

/me has gut feeling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

He'll be busy with all the covering for Babb that he'll have to do but lets face facts that he'd be higher profile as a Liverpool bit player than he would as a mainstay at Sundeland. Can't see him making much headway into the England team now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement