Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows password problem

Options
  • 12-08-2002 11:11am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok here is the situation.One of our employees was let go last week but before they left they changed all the windows networking passwords to random numbers and letters.Now does any one know how I change these passwords back to ones of my choice.I cant access the network and it seems like a simple problem to solve.
    Any help appreciated as always.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

<Request More Info>

Seriously ..

X

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok there are 6 pcs affected by this problem.Disgruntled employee goes into control panel and changes(using the feature in control panel) all the network logon password to random letters and numbers by basically making them up in his head ie 1234abcd.Now no-one can log on to the network.I rang this guy and am told that he cant remember what password he put into each pc.
    And since I dont have the original password I cant change it using control panel.
    All the pcs are using win98se.
    I have full access to the server and was wondering can I change the network passwords for each of the Pcs from the server???
    This make sense???
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i dont know if this will work, but you could try starting the computer in command prompt (i think you have to press F8 when the computer's starting up)
    then type
    'cd\windows'
    'rename *.pwl *.xxx'
    then just restart the computer
    if this just fkucks it up even more, repeat the above steps, but type 'rename *.xxx *.pwl' instead of the other way round.
    not sure if my hungover ramblings make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Now if you have the machines setup on a domain, using your server as a domain controller, you need to go into usermanager for domains, and reset each users password from here.

I suggest changing them all to password, and leave user must change password on next login checked, so they all get to assign there own password.

But , given that you user changed all these password from the control panel on a Win98 workstation, i'm guessing that you dont have all the machine logging onto the domain.

If your users are just logging ono the workstation, then if you then do a search for all the 'usernames'.pwl in find files, and delete them, when the users log on again, they will be treated as a new user, and can enter a password of choice.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can do what tman suggests only no need to boot to dos.. your only talking about win98 passwords so press cancel.. log on locally and do the pwl fix!

Windows 98 is in no way secure unless you have security software installed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement