Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's supplied routers any good?

Options
  • 12-08-2002 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

After about three months of general Eircom bashing, I've managed to get ADSL installed into the internet cafe where I work.
    However, the DSL router that I have, I cannot get to work. I think this is because its literally just a DSL router and not the actual modem "bit". Its an SMC "Barricade" SMC7301TA if anyone would like to investigate into it for me.
    It just wont seem to work for me at all.

The other thing is that if I cant get THIS router working, then I'm seriously considering just getting the eircom supplied router. I was talking to them and they said that they will configure it for us and post it out so I can just plug it in and go. They use the Zyxel 630 Prestige ADSL routers. Does anyone have one of these and if so, how easy are they to use / configure and all that lark, and are they really worth the 660 EURO.

Thanks for your help,

cheers,
    - WiG -

PS. The Eircom engineer installed an RJ11 type phone line to go from the ADSL wall panel box to where all my network gear is (how kind of him!). It seems to be a cross over cable of some sort tho, IE the wires are not in the same order each end, is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Errrr....Wig - the TA at the end of your Router code would suggest to me that it's a Terminal adapter...or in other words and ISDN "modem".........maybe I'm wrong but if you check out http://www.compexdata.cz/katalog/E_ProdGuide_ss_broad_adsl2002.pdf . Who sold you this, you would need the ADSL modem also.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You'd need to plug it into a DSL modem, take a look at http://www.omnilogic.ro/news&events/7301TA.pdf

Those Zyxel routers are pretty easy to setup and very reliable imo.

Also, that RJ11 cable you're talking about is just a normal RJ11 cable. It connects the modem/router to the DSL splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wig

Its an ISDN modem but it also says that it will work with up to 8mb DSL broadband connections. Its a two-in-one jobbie.

I've just looked at that PDF file. Thanks - it's helped me a lot. I'll get back onto my supplier as he said that if it didnt work with our ADSL he would take it back from us.

Thanks.
    Anyone used any of Eircoms DSL supplied equipment tho?

- WiG -

Advertisement