Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading a processor

• 12-08-2002 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Im new to upgrading processors..so i have an old AMD K-6, 366mhz laying around..i dont think it would be able to hold anything much greater than that. Ive been looking around and found what i think i need, i wanna upgrade it to around 500-550 if i can, do any of u guys know what i need..is it as simple as buying a new processor and jus fitting that in where the old one is? thanks for ur help in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

First off, find out what motherboard you have as this will decide what CPU upgrade you can get.

Download this http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

it will tell you your mobo number*( as well as other software/hardware versions), get this and paste it into to google, you should then get some links for your mobo.

Once knowing your mobo, you can search around and see what max CPU your board will support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you have a K6 then your motherboard is a Socket 7 board. Basically the bad news is that you won't be able to upgrade to very much, perhaps a K6-3 550 or something, but only if your motherboard supports it (Unlikely, you will need a BIOS upgrade probably but it's still unlikely).

Add to that the fact that Socket 7 is pants and that the K6 was never the greatest chip (I have 2 K6-400's still, one of them lying about spare, the other in a machine I put together for my sister). Also these parts are harder to come by these days.

It's really not worth your while upgrading. A total waste of time. I have upgraded from an AMD 333 I think, to a 500 and believe me it wasn't worth the effort. Performance increase was not very significant, using modern apps.

My honest advice based on bitter experience with the K6 (and possibily the worst motherboard ever made to put one into, the ASUS P5A), is that it's not worth upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

As Quigs Snr says, not worthwhile, you wont get much/any performace increase

Save those pennys and buy a nice xp1800 upgrade kit and psu if needed :) some difference from a k6 chip m8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

excellent :) thanks for all ur help guys

Advertisement