Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP PRO rebooting problem

Options
  • 12-08-2002 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Windows XP having worked fine for the past few monts started rebooting (without any warning) yesterday.
    Could reboot 3/4 times in an hour.
    It happens at different times and when I am using different software, even happens when PC is unattended.

Log file wbemess.log shows the following :
    NT Event Log Consumer: could not retrieve sid, 0x80041002
    Failed to log an event:

Userven.log shows
    5DEUSERENV(178.17c) 21:56:29:925 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

Can someone throw some light on this as it is driving me crazy

Ollie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you checked for viruses?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

what type of pc you on atm?

mainly, what cpu and motherboard do you have running?

sounds like a cpu overheat and the mobo doing an auto shut down to protect it. tell me cos happened to me before i started cooling it correctly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

it's more likely to be a software problem than a hardware problem.
    ok afaik xp is very like 2k. is there should be a setting that reboots the machine automatically on a software fail(it's in system properties/advanced/startup and recovery in 2k..might be the same in XP)
    uncheck that.

BTW i'm only guessing about that.but i had a prob. with a 2k machine that was rebooting automatically for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

I could'nt cope with it any longer and did a format and full install
    No problems so far but then I dont have all my software installed so if it is a software conflict issue it might re-occur.

I am pretty sure I dont have a virus, I use Kaspersky Labs and definition files are updated weekly.

Not a heat related problem as i also have win98 and it was running fine.

Re-booting seems to be an XP feature .. have a look at
    http://www.cnet.com/software/0-6688749-8-9696202-1.html
    there is some info there on how to deal with the problem

I have an AMD 800 on an Abit KT7 board but as I said above I have had XP running on it since xmas or so with no problems

regards
    Ollie

Advertisement