Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Stream stats

Options
  • 13-08-2002 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever get to use http://dslstats.eircom.net ?

I ask because I have learnt that it was "taken down when it realised that the public were using it" (Eircom tech support). It was somewhere where you could check your monthly traffic. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone out there got to use it and what they were presented with.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Never heard of it when I was doing their Trial.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Now Eircom are just acting criminally, in my opinion. They don't want the public to be able to keep track of their traffic and, therefore, be able to keep within the cap. Why? Well, if people go over the cap Eircom make more money so keeping people from knowing means there's a greater chance of someone exceeding the cap and Eircom can then make more money out of them.

I don't know about the legal side of this, but surely preventing people from knowing what their traffic is in order to get them to go over the cap and charge them more has to be an offence in some way, hasn't it? I mean, they've pulled some fast ones before but this is just not funny. This must be illegal in some way, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

There are other programs around to keep track of your dloads.
    Have Eircom been charging for going over the cap limit? In other threads it said they hadn't been yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

*edited*

Noel, lets not be so dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I used to use a little to make sure DUMeter was keeping track of my stats accuratly. I havent really looked at it since.

It was a sort of auto generated bar chart on your usage. It seemed to be a relic from times gone by as the account dl limit was 1 meg (this was the amount mooted before they settled on 3gb).

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    This must be illegal in some way, surely?

Aidan, calm down. They dont have to provide those stats. I dont see you complaining that theres no website with your telephone usage on it? (actually there is, but its quite new and noone ever seemed to want one before it apeared.) Its nowhere near illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its not live as the person i talk to a lot from Eircom tells me the cap cant be fully implemented until we have that website running.

So im well within the 30Gb cap but i have no way of keeping track of it.

So they will only charge those mad people who go over it a lot.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by kdja
    So im well within the 30Gb cap.....

Eircom's giving a 30GB cap now, are they? Last I heard it was 3GB. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

whats a GB?

;)

kdja

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Gb stands for Golly Bar, you know, those vanilla ice creams wrapped in a milky chocolate shell? You can download and eat three of these before you go over your limit. ;)

Seriously though, a GB is a gigabyte.

gig·a·byte Pronunciation Key (jg-bt, gg-)
    n.
    1. A unit of computer memory or data storage capacity equal to 1,024 megabytes (230 bytes).
    2. One billion bytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Doh! I stand corrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Yeah Golly Bars are good....

But it's not that you can only take 3 off the shelf....
    It's that there's 100's on the shelf right on front of you, and for some reason, you're just not allowed have them. They're there simply to annoy you, and tempt you. Rumour has it, that life is different in other countries...
    That you can have all the Golly Bars you want!!!

Oh I dream of the day when Golly bars are cheaply available for everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Heh, you think that's good? I hear they have Golly Bars on the curb that go straight to your house in other countries at super fast speeds...you just smile at your freezer, and there it is!

Wow :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I thought they got rid of golly bars as they were deemed racist with the black dudes on the wrapper? are eircom trying to sell these to our kids? would not suprise me in the slightest! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

golly bars are the best ice cream known to man. THey put a new wrapper on them and now everyone (specially me) is happy again.

The one with the choclate around it is a choc-ice and the one with the brown biscuit wrapped around it is an Ice Burger.

Now that i have taken this thread to its logical off topic conclusion, im locking it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement